Penguins fire their entire medical staff

Jul 20, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT

Sidney Crosby Getty Images

The Penguins have been relatively quiet this offseason, but they shook things up in a different way.

Rob Rossi and Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review report the team has fired their entire medical staff as headed up by Dr. Charles Burke.

The Penguins are replacing their medical team as part of a proposed move by 2014 to a hockey facility in Cranberry that will be in conjunction with UPMC, the team confirmed in a statement Friday.

Burke has an extensive history with the team treating Mario Lemieux’s bad back in his time playing as well as Sidney Crosby and his concussions. Twice Burke has cleared Crosby for action from his head injuries and he’s been an important person in the NHL’s concussion program as he once headed up the program. With Crosby’s health always under scrutiny, as well as previous injuries to Kris Letang and Evgeni Malkin, it’s not as if it’s a quiet or low-profile job working for the Penguins.

1. dcabello528 - Jul 20, 2012 at 1:31 PM

look what happens,when that sissy Crosby,gets hurt…THEY FIRE ALL THE DOCTORS!!! This guy is such a premadonna!!!!! DEATH TO ALL PENGUINS

• grillmarks - Jul 20, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Seriously… grow up. I’m a Chicago fan and could care less about the Pens but all of the Crosby bashing is pretty stupid. You come off as being a prepubescent teenager.

• ron05342 - Jul 20, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Well, maybe he/she is. Only a very immature one.

• bmscalise - Jul 20, 2012 at 2:00 PM

What part of “condition for using the new facility” don’t you understand? The new staff was part of the business arrangement they made with UPMC. And sorry – neither Sid or the Pens was dictating conditions to a healthcare monster. You’re just sad.

• arsement - Jul 20, 2012 at 2:09 PM

It’s ‘prima donna’… and you’re an idiot.

• theawesomersfranchise - Jul 20, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Premadonna? What’s that? A slutty egg and and a gap-toothed sperm with musical talent?

• wpgjetter - Jul 20, 2012 at 2:54 PM

You are a total moron. Are you like 8 years old? I am certainly not a Crosby fan but to wish DEATH or injury to anyone is probably the most immature statement that can be made. Grow up already.

• Eberwizzle - Jul 20, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Proving that he NEVER read the article and went right to trolling.

• handsofsweed - Jul 20, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Yes, bc Sid was around BEFORE Madonna. Don’t use misspelled words that you don’t really understand, dummy.

• laprimachatte - Jul 21, 2012 at 11:44 AM

The fact you seem to think the term “prima donna” has ANYTHING to do with Madonna is ten times funnier than the 8yr old troll. You and the 12 other people who liked that comment are f*cking retards.

Google is your friend, use it.

2. theawesomersfranchise - Jul 20, 2012 at 1:35 PM

The Staal trade wasn’t shaking things up Joe?

3. govtminion - Jul 20, 2012 at 1:36 PM

That’s… kind of a strange move. If you’re going to work with a different set of doctors, fine, but firing everyone two years beforehand? Particularly a group that has had so much experience working with the team?

Very, very odd.

• napoleonblownapart6887 - Jul 20, 2012 at 2:40 PM

It has to do with the change in medical facilities. The doctors weren’t allowed to practice in the new facility so they had to axe them.

• handsofsweed - Jul 20, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Good God. People actually thumbed this comment down. The ignorance of our population is staggering. This had nothing to do w hockey and everything to do w the medical practice and it’s contractual issues.

• Jeff Thomas - Jul 21, 2012 at 1:59 PM

You think one has nothing to do with the other? You don’t think Crosby’s concussion that turned out to be a neck injury, James Neal’s broken foot that wasn’t really a broken foot, Staal’s foot injury, or Jeffrey’s bad rehab CAUSED them to look for a new medical facility?

• napoleonblownapart6887 - Jul 23, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I’m not saying that the two things aren’t related, however the talks with a move to UPMC based health center/team (like the Pirates, Steelers, and Pitt Panthers have) have been going on for a while.

4. mclovinhockey - Jul 20, 2012 at 1:37 PM

If webs is in Philly they will need all the doctors they can get… After all he is the reason it was called SMASHville HEADators

• theawesomersfranchise - Jul 20, 2012 at 1:43 PM

If? What happened to “THE PREDS CAN’T AFFORD TO MATCH”?

If?
      lol
      Starting to understand what I understood immediately huh?

• flyersphaithful48 - Jul 21, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I’d love for you to explain, in full detail, how you find it financially feasible
        For them to match when they also have rinnes contract and free agents coming up next year and the year after. Please let me hear your entire argument because as of right now all you do is blow steam out of your ass on how “THEY WILL MATCH”

Caps lock doesn’t make your argument any more relevant.

• theawesomersfranchise - Jul 21, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Why should I explain when I can let Vanderbilt University economics professor John Vrooman do it for me?
        Who specializes in sports economics btw
        “I think they’re going to match the offer because I don’t think thy really have a choice”

So I’m going to let you sit there and marinade on that. Do I need to go into the reason why the have to? About market values and stuff that flies completely over your head? I hope not because I’m not going to explain it to you peons again. You’re just going to have to trust the people infinitely smarter than you.

And Boom goes the Dynamite

• mclovinhockey - Jul 21, 2012 at 11:48 AM

never said that its 100%, just said that it was a smart move by philly since the money wont work out for the preds at all, plus if they fail, keeps webs out of pitt and NY

• theawesomersfranchise - Jul 21, 2012 at 11:55 AM

HAHAHAHAHA

“2 days ago this is you”

And I’m quoting and using CAPS like you did

“THE PREDS CAN’T AFFORD TO MATCH”

On what planet does that not mean 100%?
        The planet of Sober-seconds-thoughts? Right next to the planet of “Backtracking”?

• Eberwizzle - Jul 20, 2012 at 4:11 PM

come on mclovin…..you usually bring something to the table. This is by far the weakest post you’ve made so far.

• mclovinhockey - Jul 21, 2012 at 11:50 AM

haha, this post was just to put out a joke with Puns… I didnt think people would have made any response to it.

5. sjsharks66 - Jul 20, 2012 at 1:43 PM

@mclovin, I don’t think weber will pull that move again. Im really surprised the redwings did not react to it when it happened. Glad to see they challenged him to a fight the next game though. No room for that in hockey. Lol

6. searchdirector - Jul 20, 2012 at 1:43 PM

This was a condition Crosby wanted when he signed new deal with the Penguins (a friend of mine knows Dr. Burke). Considering he’s playing again I don’t see how this is at all necessary. What a whiner this guy is.

• theawesomersfranchise - Jul 20, 2012 at 1:53 PM

You should make a website and charge stupid people for you inside information.

Oh wait someone beat ya to it

• searchdirector - Jul 20, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I only speak to things I actually know about. I’m not Eklund

• theawesomersfranchise - Jul 20, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Right, so if you know then it’s a 100% certainty that someone in the media will find out and we will see your story confirmed. Then I’ll say sorry for doubting it….
        Of course if your story doesn’t come out then you’re Eklund without getting paid.

• napoleonblownapart6887 - Jul 20, 2012 at 2:42 PM

No it wasn’t a condition of the new deal. It was a condition in the change in medical facilities. You idiot. You trolling, wannabe insider, moron.

• napoleonblownapart6887 - Jul 20, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Even if this was the case (its not), they wouldn’t tell Burke that the reason he was getting fired is because Sid wanted him out… that’s not the way things work. You illogical, know-nothing, moron.

7. bobhpine - Jul 20, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Hey that guy has a friend who knows somebody…you people are pathetic

8. lloydpricessister - Jul 20, 2012 at 2:22 PM

the greatest franchise in the world can fire whoever they want

9. sheckyrimshot - Jul 20, 2012 at 2:28 PM

paging dr. recchi: your expertise is required in pittsburgh.

10. georgia166 - Jul 20, 2012 at 2:30 PM

LOL@ the greatest franchise in the world, thanks, I needed a good laugh today.

11. jnealsmanmeat - Jul 20, 2012 at 3:08 PM

How about Soup Can decided that this medical staff lacked the number of yard sticks to measure his girthy unit. Now everyone in PGH knows why we just got flooded..wasnt from the rain; soup can sid unleashed a massive piss that the sewer systems could not handle. SCA forever! Follow us on twitter @soupcanarmy

• handsofsweed - Jul 20, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I actually laughed @ your explanation for the flooding. You’re still a d-bag, though.

• kitshky - Jul 20, 2012 at 8:12 PM

So …”all” you guys share one Twitter account eh?

12. dannythebisforbeast - Jul 20, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Penguins fans please stop attempting humor it is simply not in your blood.

• napoleonblownapart6887 - Jul 20, 2012 at 3:29 PM

And I’m sure, you’re just an absolute king of comedy – sending everyone you meet into fits of laughter with your wit and charm!!

Give me a break – don’t be so arrogant.

• rockthered1286 - Jul 20, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Calm down princess. No need to verbally attack everyone. One guy was going off of what a friend of Dr. Burke told him and another was simply saying what everyone is thinking: the soup can army and crosby girth jokes are just stupid and an attempt to rile people up.

And besides, everyone knows Crosby has a mangina not a shlong. Although I guess the girth is the same thing as width and considering he birthed Kennedy, it must be pretty wide.

• napoleonblownapart6887 - Jul 20, 2012 at 4:11 PM

So a few of things:

First, I hate seeing people like him masquerading like some sort of insider, and using faulty information to take a shot at a player. Really rubs me the wrong way.

Secondly, I didn’t see that the Soup Can retards had been up to their usual antics. I just thought the comment was completely out of nowhere. I completely understand that people don’t find them funny. So I take that back.

Finally, rockthered – you have no room to talk about verbally attacking people when you spend all your time on these boards taking shots at Penguins and Penguin fans.

13. lloydpricessister - Jul 20, 2012 at 3:26 PM

just like not winning is in philthadelphias blood

14. hooockey - Jul 20, 2012 at 3:56 PM

They did misdiagnose Crosby’s “concussion-like symptoms” in the later part of the year. They treated it lingering effects of a concussion. Another set of doctors found that Crosby’s symptoms were due to fractured vertebrae in his neck which had healed on its own. After having his neck treated, he was back playing shortly.

These doctors completely missed Crosby’s broken neck vertebrae; I think this is why they were fired.

• johngaltx - Jul 21, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Reports are that Montreal doctors cleared Letang to re-enter the game, Pens doctors were not at the game. New doctor(s) will travel with the team.

“Harner or one of two others now on the team staff — associate team physician Tanya Hagen and assistant team physician Dharmesh Vyas — will travel to all Penguins road games.

In November, Penguins defenseman Kris Letang was deemed OK by Canadiens medical staff to return to a game in Montreal after taking a hit to the head. Letang scored the winning goal in overtime, but subsequently was diagnosed with a concussion.”

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/penguins/pens-name-new-head-physician-645500/#ixzz21E7VGUXi

15. sjsharks66 - Jul 20, 2012 at 4:14 PM

I’m assuming that they were fired because they missed crosbys broken neck, sent Letang out to play after he got a concussion which made it worse. I’m sure they have missed a few other things.

As a franchise you want elite doctors for your players and I guess these guys got sloppy. Nothing wrong with wanting the best for your star players.

I sure hope the sharks would do the same if we had the problems the pens had this year.

16. dannythebisforbeast - Jul 20, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Sid,
    completely understand when the trainer will not rub the muscle that really needs it. I would have had them fired as well

-John Travolta

17. lloydpricessister - Jul 20, 2012 at 7:07 PM

soup can sids thick member really did a number on route 51 today. that glowing yellow stream of god urine had us peasants floating in boats to make our way across the road. @SoupCanArmy

18. lloydpricessister - Jul 20, 2012 at 8:15 PM

yes we do. everyone whos in the army has the password so you can post magical statements about our lord and savior soup can sid. join the revolution my friend and u will have the password also

19. rockthered1286 - Jul 20, 2012 at 8:38 PM

@napoleon, it’s all in good fun my man. I enjoy picking a fight with Pitt fans as much as the next Caps (and Ravens) fan just for the sake of banter. It’s all part of the game for me, and I have nothing but respect for fans loyal to their team. I think you’ll all agree that the soup can sid stooges have an unhealthy obsession with another mans genitalia and those obnoxious fans are the ones I can’t stand. Hell, caps fans have our own idiots on here too. But there are absolutely a small group of loyal Pitt fans I have no qualms with whatsoever. If you’re ever in the Baltimore area we’ll grab a beer good sir. As long as you’re not of a Sandusky persuasion of course.

20. jnealsmanmeat - Jul 21, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Once a person gains access into the soup can army, then and only then will you learn the true power of the man himself. Join the revolution @soupcanarmy

21. jacketsfan7 - Jul 21, 2012 at 11:05 AM

But the trainer who trained evgeni Malkin when he was injured is still there right? He was so good

22. jayrod1089 - Jul 21, 2012 at 1:02 PM

hmm i guess they had to make some type of noise since the flyers sent them home and have had a dead offseason lol.. go #FLYERS

23. lloydpricessister - Jul 21, 2012 at 3:04 PM

lets all agree on philthadelphia is a trashy town. @SoupCanArmy

24. wenzel0232 - Jul 22, 2012 at 11:18 AM

I thought it was Primeau Donna???

25. mattmc20 - Jul 25, 2012 at 7:45 AM

This is news????? 30 teams and yet again a North East bias…..

Flyers have many concerns