Jul 20, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT
The Penguins have been relatively quiet this offseason, but they shook things up in a different way.
Rob Rossi and Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review report the team has fired their entire medical staff as headed up by Dr. Charles Burke.
The Penguins are replacing their medical team as part of a proposed move by 2014 to a hockey facility in Cranberry that will be in conjunction with UPMC, the team confirmed in a statement Friday.
Burke has an extensive history with the team treating Mario Lemieux’s bad back in his time playing as well as Sidney Crosby and his concussions. Twice Burke has cleared Crosby for action from his head injuries and he’s been an important person in the NHL’s concussion program as he once headed up the program. With Crosby’s health always under scrutiny, as well as previous injuries to Kris Letang and Evgeni Malkin, it’s not as if it’s a quiet or low-profile job working for the Penguins.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)