Patrick Kane doesn’t think he has a drinking problem

Jul 20, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT

Patrick Kane Getty Images

Patrick Kane‘s offseason hasn’t exactly been one filled with highlights. After all, getting busted partying in Madison, Wisconsin and allegedly causing a drunken disturbance with some of the coeds there doesn’t do much to make the Blackhawks feel good about letting him loose in the wild.

With the team’s convention going on in Chicago, Kane spoke with reporters and was refreshingly honest about his travails this summer. Tracey Myers of CSNChicago.com hears it from Kane who says he doesn’t believe he has a drinking problem and feels embarrassed about the party photos that made him Internet famous for all the wrong reasons.

“I have to make those things stop happening. We all saw the photos — pretty embarrassing,” Kane said.

Maybe Kane is learning from all this stuff going on involving him. From the stuff in Wisconsin to the taxi cab incident a couple summers ago, there’s enough there that Chicago is worried about him. That said, actions speak louder than words and while it’s all fun and games seeing a 23 year-old star behaving just how many of us would if we were millionaires at that age, he’s got a responsibility to his team and to himself to worry about as well.

1. chiadam - Jul 20, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Apparently, Yerdon would be a self-centered, immature punk if he had access to loads of cash. Good to know. But remember, money does not define character. It reveals it. I’ve had the incredible misfortune of running across Kane many times, as I live in Chicago. I’ve seen him insult women for no reason whatsoever, refuse to pay bills, fall off stools, and draw a dick on the jersey of an autograph seeker. This behavior is generally followed by him hiding behind his pinhead cousin, or some other frat boy burnout he runs with (none of whom scare anyone, but there are always 15 of them). Don’t fall for one second of this “aw shucks” act that Kane puts on whenever a television camera is around.

• hockeyflow33 - Jul 20, 2012 at 5:29 PM

haha the dick thing is hilarious. that’s a way better story than just getting his signature

• lordfletcher - Jul 20, 2012 at 5:57 PM

if he won my team a Stanley Cup, I would care less how he acts off the ice. Everyone is different and not all good people. That’s life, you see it everywhere. To be honest, he is a kid, he never grew up and clearly might not have had the best parenting. I do not know, but am just guessing.

I couldn’t imagine being a millionaire at 18 and the life I would have lived. I was crazy as a broke kid :)

Some learn earlier than others, clearly, he needs time.

IMO

-Wild Fan

• zaksyuk - Jul 20, 2012 at 6:00 PM

We all know yerdon is a giant bafoon. This is why he only gets to write 3 articles a week for pht.

• theawesomersfranchise - Jul 20, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Thumbs down for telling the truth about Kane?
      Predictable

I’ve spent 20 mins in the same room as Kane, and played many games with Sean Avery as kid when he was in Cole Harbour. They are one in the same, complete goofs who nobody likes, selfish, self-absorbed and loud. Avery didn’t have any friends in the league just like he didn’t have any in Nova Scotia.

Everything I have read about him make perfect sense and just listening to him from across the room, (not actually trying to listen, but he’s so loud and thinks he’s the funniest guy in the world when in reality you become embarrassed for him)
      Avery Clone with a drinking problem

• martysbetter - Jul 20, 2012 at 7:06 PM

I’ve heard this from people who have played with him before he broke into the NHL, very cocky, very arrogant, just not at all likable.

• laprimachatte - Jul 21, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Was it a big veiny one at least? 8========D

“Last night I saw Patrick Kane andddd he drew a dick on me.”

That’s pretty great.

2. xaf605 - Jul 20, 2012 at 5:01 PM

And

3. redwingsfan999 - Jul 20, 2012 at 5:06 PM

That’s a shame that he’s like that cuz he has great talent, if he keeps this up I could see chicago trading him in a couple years

• barkar942 - Jul 20, 2012 at 9:18 PM

If he keeps this up, who will want him?

• Doesnotmatter - Jul 22, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Detroit ???

4. davebabychreturns - Jul 20, 2012 at 5:10 PM

“I don’t think I have a drinking problem, I could quit any time I – hey does that girl look like she should be strangled? I’ll be right back..”

• claysbar - Jul 20, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I don’t have a problem with my drinking, it’s everyone else that has a problem with my drinking

5. atwatercrushesokoye - Jul 20, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Charlie Sheen doesn’t think his drinking is a problem either…

6. sjsharks66 - Jul 20, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Yeah……ok lol

7. paperkid96 - Jul 20, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Of course he doesn’t. That’s the first sign. Denial!!!!

He also thinks he is a good citizen, well liked and its cool to chew on his mouth guard.

• dipthatchip - Jul 20, 2012 at 7:15 PM

dude, I have no qualms about the blackhawks except for Kane’s incessant dangling of the mouth guard outside of his mouth. ^$&# irritated me to no end. /rant

8. charliereno - Jul 20, 2012 at 5:38 PM

I did the same stupid things when I was a 23 year old…and then I grew up. Kane will too.

• micklethepickle - Jul 20, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Really? You choked women when they wouldn’t put out for you? I hope you’re posting this comment from a prison… I was 23, too, and never once laid a violent hand on a woman.

• charliereno - Jul 20, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Well well well…look at the martyr.

• charliereno - Jul 20, 2012 at 8:36 PM

The choking was never anything more than hearsay posted on a gossip site. I bet you think ‘bat boy’ is real and believe in Jesus too, huh Mikey? Let me go grab you a copy of the Enquirer so you can continue to judge people because you’ve got the ‘facts’. Idiot.

9. theawesomersfranchise - Jul 20, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I literally LOL’ed as I right clicked to read this article

10. lightningstrikes04 - Jul 20, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Aren’t hockey player supposed to drink…just sayin’

• theawesomersfranchise - Jul 20, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Ya but most have an off-button, and most are not already dicks. Kane is a dick who doesn’t have an off-button before he even gets a drink in his hand.

Then he starts drinking…..

11. id4joey - Jul 20, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Hey! claysbar, if you’re going to name drop why won’t you tell us your full name?

• claysbar - Jul 20, 2012 at 6:35 PM

??

12. dannythebisforbeast - Jul 20, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Claysbar is drunk I think you mean Avery’s ex above him.

13. pone27 - Jul 20, 2012 at 6:50 PM

This is so blown out of proportion its quite comical. Clearly these posts on here are flooded by Wings fans and people who just don’t like Kane as a player.

Seriously, this is old news that has been beaten to the ground. Let it go.

14. martysbetter - Jul 20, 2012 at 6:55 PM

If he had a drinking problem, he wouldn’t be able to be a hockey player in the NHL.

That being said, the dude sounds like a jerk – but the world is filled with them, this shouldn’t surprise anyone, apparently no one has ever met any hockey players between the ages of 18 – 24, they are complete animals.

You watch sports to cheer for a team, and maybe hope in the end that your favorite players are good people – but in the end it really doesn’t matter and they’re all probably complete scumbags, it comes with being an athletic talent… these kids are coddled from a very very early age.

• babar61 - Jul 20, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Of course he could. Theo fleury had a alcohol and cocaine problem and kept it up for years playing in the NHL.

• jrmehle - Jul 21, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Derek Boogaard had a pretty big problem with pain killers and alcohol and played. Just saying…

15. 61ackhawk592 - Jul 20, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I dont know Patrick Kane personally but the vibe that I get everytime I see pictures or interviews of him is he thinks he is the pretty boy, who think he is all that & can do what he wants when he wants and nobody can tell him what to do!

Okay so he came through for us in the SC run, big whoop! So did Buff (who scored 5 OT goals, without those we wouldnt have won anything!), Keith & Sebs were best D (as well as Campbell) and you cannot forget our beloved Captain Serious!

Kane did great during the cup run, but what about this past season what did he do? 23 lousy pts for a superstar! Thats not super when u see others like Tazer, Crosby, Malkin, Giroux etc coming through when it counted & working their hardest every game & chance they get! I have never seen Tazer floating on the ice…but Kane I have.

The point I want to say is that just because he had the game winner doesnt make it okay for him to go out and do what he wants! Those pics & that publicity is not good for him, the fans, or the organization as a whole!
    I really hope that he is genuinely embarrassed about those pics, enough to smarten up & get down to business and get better for this season coming up! We need Kane to show up like he did in the SC run, it cant just be Tazer carrying the team (unless u want our captain to get another concussion!)

This is a team effort and when your star players are not up to par, what does that say about the team as a whole! Kane is the one of the leaders of this Hawk team so by him going out and getting a bad rep for him & what he reps then what do the rookies coming up and the rest of the team think? They think that is okay to do what he does & will look up to him and do what he does, because apparently its acceptable!

Im not saying he shouldnt drink, unless he really cant handle being in public, haha
    but seriously dont go out and cause drama and draw attention to himself. Is it too much to ask to just go out with friends and have a couple beers and go home, why get drunk? Why take it to the next level? Its just not necessary!

Here’s to hoping this season is better than last!
    Go Blackhawks! :)

16. ucaneverscorenoughgoals - Jul 20, 2012 at 9:36 PM

I just hope he gets his act together, he has too much talent to waste it.

I can’t take pleasure from talented players screwing up. It may be what they need to grow up but it simply waters down the on ice product for NHL.

17. bagjr387 - Jul 20, 2012 at 11:33 PM

I dont have a drinking problem…..I pretty much got it figured out

18. millej26 - Jul 21, 2012 at 12:41 AM

He’s a college aged kid saucin with his buddies. So he had a few too many. I know plenty of people who are older than him and have passed out at a bar or done stupid stuff. Just sucks for him people obviously know if they take stupid pictures of him everybody will see it.

19. cincnatis439 - Jul 21, 2012 at 9:33 AM

BFD 23 and rich….have fun learn from the mistake and move on. If you have to make a mistake please make it a new one.

20. jacketsfan7 - Jul 21, 2012 at 11:08 AM

If you need help , look to jordin tootoo he faced worse problems and he could help you get over this

21. uscthom78 - Jul 21, 2012 at 11:26 AM

This is like saying holmgren is poile’s friend.

22. mojosmagic - Jul 21, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Several years ago I attended a wedding Kane was present and his behavior towards the young women there was deplorable. He had no respect, was sloppy drunk, and acted like a complete jerk. Obviously if he is still acting juvenile then he has a problem.

23. mojosmagic - Jul 21, 2012 at 11:51 AM

24. anarchist9027 - Jul 21, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Hes from South Buffalo, as am I so I wouldn’t doubt if he does lol. south Buffalo is full of the good ‘ol drunk Irishman

Top 10 NHL Player Searches