Jul 20, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, we continue with the Detroit Red Wings.
They have by far the longest active postseason appearance streak, but it will be put to the test next season. You could argue that Detroit’s dynasty has been waning for years and it was certainly sent a shock by the retirement of Nicklas Lidstrom and departure of Brad Stuart.
They were left with quite a bit of cap space, but their efforts to sign free agents Zach Parise and Ryan Suter failed. Instead they inked Jordin Tootoo and Mikael Samuelsson while watching unrestricted free agent Jiri Hudler walk.
Barring a trade, Detroit will need to look inwards to fill the rather large hole left in their blueline. It would help if Kyle Quincey steps up after a rough return to Detroit in 2011-12. The Red Wings will also be counting on Brendan Smith to have a solid rookie season.
Will the Detroit Red Wings’ dynasty survive? Stick around PHT today for more on that and other questions.
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 12
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 21
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 32
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)