Jul 20, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, we continue with the Detroit Red Wings.
They have by far the longest active postseason appearance streak, but it will be put to the test next season. You could argue that Detroit’s dynasty has been waning for years and it was certainly sent a shock by the retirement of Nicklas Lidstrom and departure of Brad Stuart.
They were left with quite a bit of cap space, but their efforts to sign free agents Zach Parise and Ryan Suter failed. Instead they inked Jordin Tootoo and Mikael Samuelsson while watching unrestricted free agent Jiri Hudler walk.
Barring a trade, Detroit will need to look inwards to fill the rather large hole left in their blueline. It would help if Kyle Quincey steps up after a rough return to Detroit in 2011-12. The Red Wings will also be counting on Brendan Smith to have a solid rookie season.
Will the Detroit Red Wings’ dynasty survive? Stick around PHT today for more on that and other questions.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 1
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 21
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)