Jul 20, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, we continue with the Detroit Red Wings.
They have by far the longest active postseason appearance streak, but it will be put to the test next season. You could argue that Detroit’s dynasty has been waning for years and it was certainly sent a shock by the retirement of Nicklas Lidstrom and departure of Brad Stuart.
They were left with quite a bit of cap space, but their efforts to sign free agents Zach Parise and Ryan Suter failed. Instead they inked Jordin Tootoo and Mikael Samuelsson while watching unrestricted free agent Jiri Hudler walk.
Barring a trade, Detroit will need to look inwards to fill the rather large hole left in their blueline. It would help if Kyle Quincey steps up after a rough return to Detroit in 2011-12. The Red Wings will also be counting on Brendan Smith to have a solid rookie season.
Will the Detroit Red Wings’ dynasty survive? Stick around PHT today for more on that and other questions.
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 1
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 28
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 44
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 8
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)