Jul 20, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, we continue with the Detroit Red Wings.
They have by far the longest active postseason appearance streak, but it will be put to the test next season. You could argue that Detroit’s dynasty has been waning for years and it was certainly sent a shock by the retirement of Nicklas Lidstrom and departure of Brad Stuart.
They were left with quite a bit of cap space, but their efforts to sign free agents Zach Parise and Ryan Suter failed. Instead they inked Jordin Tootoo and Mikael Samuelsson while watching unrestricted free agent Jiri Hudler walk.
Barring a trade, Detroit will need to look inwards to fill the rather large hole left in their blueline. It would help if Kyle Quincey steps up after a rough return to Detroit in 2011-12. The Red Wings will also be counting on Brendan Smith to have a solid rookie season.
Will the Detroit Red Wings’ dynasty survive? Stick around PHT today for more on that and other questions.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 11
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 28
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 78
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)