Jul 20, 2012, 5:15 PM EST
If you didn’t know any better, you’d think it was all doom and gloom for the Red Wings when it comes to their future. Things didn’t go their way this summer in free agency and life without Nicklas Lidstrom seems mildly terrifying.
Funny thing about all that, it’s not totally grim as Detroit has a bevy of prospects on the way that give them a reason to be hopeful and some of them might not be too far off, either.
Some guys you’ve gotten a peek at already. Forward Gustav Nyquist is a former University of Maine product the Wings are high on as a potential offensive weapon. Brendan Smith is a former Wisconsin defenseman the Wings hope can help fill the void left by Lidstrom’s retirement and Brad Stuart‘s departure to San Jose. That’s asking a lot of Smith, but he’ll have every opportunity to make his mark this season.
Looking further ahead, Detroit’s future forward corps looks potentially scary. Tricky skill players like 2011 draft pick Tomas Jurco, 2012 pick Martin Frk, and a slew of 2010 picks like Riley Sheahan, Calle Jarnkrok, and Teemu Pulkkinen are all high on Detroit’s list of hopeful Wings stars.
Some may be eager to start tossing dirt on the Red Wings’ run of success, but the kids just might be all right to prevent a downturn in the Motor City.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)