Jul 20, 2012, 5:15 PM EDT
If you didn’t know any better, you’d think it was all doom and gloom for the Red Wings when it comes to their future. Things didn’t go their way this summer in free agency and life without Nicklas Lidstrom seems mildly terrifying.
Funny thing about all that, it’s not totally grim as Detroit has a bevy of prospects on the way that give them a reason to be hopeful and some of them might not be too far off, either.
Some guys you’ve gotten a peek at already. Forward Gustav Nyquist is a former University of Maine product the Wings are high on as a potential offensive weapon. Brendan Smith is a former Wisconsin defenseman the Wings hope can help fill the void left by Lidstrom’s retirement and Brad Stuart‘s departure to San Jose. That’s asking a lot of Smith, but he’ll have every opportunity to make his mark this season.
Looking further ahead, Detroit’s future forward corps looks potentially scary. Tricky skill players like 2011 draft pick Tomas Jurco, 2012 pick Martin Frk, and a slew of 2010 picks like Riley Sheahan, Calle Jarnkrok, and Teemu Pulkkinen are all high on Detroit’s list of hopeful Wings stars.
Some may be eager to start tossing dirt on the Red Wings’ run of success, but the kids just might be all right to prevent a downturn in the Motor City.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 0
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 38
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)