Jul 20, 2012, 5:15 PM EST
If you didn’t know any better, you’d think it was all doom and gloom for the Red Wings when it comes to their future. Things didn’t go their way this summer in free agency and life without Nicklas Lidstrom seems mildly terrifying.
Funny thing about all that, it’s not totally grim as Detroit has a bevy of prospects on the way that give them a reason to be hopeful and some of them might not be too far off, either.
Some guys you’ve gotten a peek at already. Forward Gustav Nyquist is a former University of Maine product the Wings are high on as a potential offensive weapon. Brendan Smith is a former Wisconsin defenseman the Wings hope can help fill the void left by Lidstrom’s retirement and Brad Stuart‘s departure to San Jose. That’s asking a lot of Smith, but he’ll have every opportunity to make his mark this season.
Looking further ahead, Detroit’s future forward corps looks potentially scary. Tricky skill players like 2011 draft pick Tomas Jurco, 2012 pick Martin Frk, and a slew of 2010 picks like Riley Sheahan, Calle Jarnkrok, and Teemu Pulkkinen are all high on Detroit’s list of hopeful Wings stars.
Some may be eager to start tossing dirt on the Red Wings’ run of success, but the kids just might be all right to prevent a downturn in the Motor City.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)