Jul 20, 2012, 5:15 PM EDT
If you didn’t know any better, you’d think it was all doom and gloom for the Red Wings when it comes to their future. Things didn’t go their way this summer in free agency and life without Nicklas Lidstrom seems mildly terrifying.
Funny thing about all that, it’s not totally grim as Detroit has a bevy of prospects on the way that give them a reason to be hopeful and some of them might not be too far off, either.
Some guys you’ve gotten a peek at already. Forward Gustav Nyquist is a former University of Maine product the Wings are high on as a potential offensive weapon. Brendan Smith is a former Wisconsin defenseman the Wings hope can help fill the void left by Lidstrom’s retirement and Brad Stuart‘s departure to San Jose. That’s asking a lot of Smith, but he’ll have every opportunity to make his mark this season.
Looking further ahead, Detroit’s future forward corps looks potentially scary. Tricky skill players like 2011 draft pick Tomas Jurco, 2012 pick Martin Frk, and a slew of 2010 picks like Riley Sheahan, Calle Jarnkrok, and Teemu Pulkkinen are all high on Detroit’s list of hopeful Wings stars.
Some may be eager to start tossing dirt on the Red Wings’ run of success, but the kids just might be all right to prevent a downturn in the Motor City.
- Five big games to watch this weekend 3
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 28
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 52
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)