Jul 19, 2012, 9:22 PM EDT
Back in 2006, the Toronto Maple Leafs traded away goaltending prospect Tuukka Rask to the Boston Bruins in exchange for Andrew Raycroft. It’s already clear how one-sided that trade was, but by the time Rask’s career is over, it might be regarded as one of the worst deals in the history of the Maple Leafs franchise (and that’s saying something).
Rask has already emerged as one of the most promising young goaltenders in the NHL and for years it’s been apparent that he’s been overqualified for the backup job. The question now is if Rask is capable carrying the Boston Bruins and simultaneously filling the shoes of a two-time Vezina Trophy winner.
The Bruins, perhaps due to their tough salary cap position, did not sign a veteran backup to take some of the heat off of Rask. Should he fail, their main alternative is Anton Khudobin, who has a mere seven NHL games under his belt.
It’s definitely a risk and one that will define the Bruins season. However, it’s not a bad one to take.
Handing the reins over to Rask was the logical next step for this franchise to take. They were probably hoping that Tim Thomas would assist in that transition next season — as opposed to taking a year off and sticking the Bruins with his cap hit — but the situation could be far worse. It’s not every team that can lose a goaltender like Thomas and still look like a Cup contender.
Jun 18, 2013, 6:15 PM EDT
The coach already had him pick as Plan B if Marian Hossa couldn’t play.
Jun 18, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Blackhawks coach knows his team has to improve in those areas.
Jun 18, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Stemming from his arrest in 2011.
Jun 18, 2013, 4:47 PM EDT
“I’ve got a nice little scratch mark on my forehead from the claw marks.”
Jun 18, 2013, 4:42 PM EDT
23-year-old defenseman had six goals in the playoffs.
Jun 18, 2013, 4:13 PM EDT
26-year-old made his NHL debut last season.
Jun 18, 2013, 3:26 PM EDT
But will they stay?
Jun 18, 2013, 3:18 PM EDT
Could an NHL team one day call it home?
Jun 18, 2013, 3:07 PM EDT
As per TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
Jun 18, 2013, 2:49 PM EDT
He’s still “day-to-day” with his injury.
Jun 18, 2013, 2:18 PM EDT
He’s been given permission to seek employment elsewhere.
Jun 18, 2013, 2:16 PM EDT
“We don’t care about calling certain guys superstars on our team,” said the coach.
Jun 18, 2013, 1:38 PM EDT
Hey, he did take two weeks off.
Jun 18, 2013, 1:19 PM EDT
The Isles are one team that’s reportedly interested.
Jun 18, 2013, 1:12 PM EDT
Former North Dakota standout was a 2009 Panthers draftee.
Jun 18, 2013, 12:56 PM EDT
The No. 2 overall pick at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft is ready to go.
Jun 18, 2013, 12:29 PM EDT
Former ‘Hawks assistant takes over the Caps’ minor-league team.
Jun 18, 2013, 12:22 PM EDT
They’ll suit up for AK Bars Kazan next season.
Jun 18, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Detroit has its core players locked up.
Jun 18, 2013, 10:40 AM EDT
They’re just two wins away from their second championship in the last three seasons.
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 23
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 7
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 10
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 43
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 91
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Playoffs Tonight: We’re tied going into Boston 9
- Writer: NHL playoffs are ‘annoying’ 79
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL