Jul 19, 2012, 6:00 PM EDT
As you’ve probably heard by now, the Philadelphia Flyers and Shea Weber have agreed to a massively frontloaded 14-year offer sheet. Nashville now has seven days to match it or accept draft picks as compensation for losing Weber.
It looks like Philadelphia wasn’t the only city that Weber considered signing with. According to ESPN’s sources, he did have some interest in playing with the New York Rangers. The problem is that Weber was apparently hesitant to accept the big city life that came with being a member of the Rangers.
“(Weber) is a small-town guy and (New York) is a huge city,” Weber’s agent, Jarrett Bousquet said. “With New York, it was nothing personal. He thought everything, from the ownership to the hockey operations to the coaching was unbelievable. (Philadelphia) just seemed to be a better fit at this time in his career.”
So…instead of signing with the New York Rangers, “small-town guy” Weber decided to go to Philadelphia, with its very passionate fanbase and metropolitan population of roughly 6 million? Uh, okay…
If the Predators let him go, then Weber could be in for quite an adjustment after spending his entire career to date in Nashville. That being said, Weber is one of the best defensemen in the league and I’m not about to bet against him.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 0
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 4
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)