Jul 19, 2012, 6:00 PM EDT
As you’ve probably heard by now, the Philadelphia Flyers and Shea Weber have agreed to a massively frontloaded 14-year offer sheet. Nashville now has seven days to match it or accept draft picks as compensation for losing Weber.
It looks like Philadelphia wasn’t the only city that Weber considered signing with. According to ESPN’s sources, he did have some interest in playing with the New York Rangers. The problem is that Weber was apparently hesitant to accept the big city life that came with being a member of the Rangers.
“(Weber) is a small-town guy and (New York) is a huge city,” Weber’s agent, Jarrett Bousquet said. “With New York, it was nothing personal. He thought everything, from the ownership to the hockey operations to the coaching was unbelievable. (Philadelphia) just seemed to be a better fit at this time in his career.”
So…instead of signing with the New York Rangers, “small-town guy” Weber decided to go to Philadelphia, with its very passionate fanbase and metropolitan population of roughly 6 million? Uh, okay…
If the Predators let him go, then Weber could be in for quite an adjustment after spending his entire career to date in Nashville. That being said, Weber is one of the best defensemen in the league and I’m not about to bet against him.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)