Jul 19, 2012, 6:00 PM EDT
As you’ve probably heard by now, the Philadelphia Flyers and Shea Weber have agreed to a massively frontloaded 14-year offer sheet. Nashville now has seven days to match it or accept draft picks as compensation for losing Weber.
It looks like Philadelphia wasn’t the only city that Weber considered signing with. According to ESPN’s sources, he did have some interest in playing with the New York Rangers. The problem is that Weber was apparently hesitant to accept the big city life that came with being a member of the Rangers.
“(Weber) is a small-town guy and (New York) is a huge city,” Weber’s agent, Jarrett Bousquet said. “With New York, it was nothing personal. He thought everything, from the ownership to the hockey operations to the coaching was unbelievable. (Philadelphia) just seemed to be a better fit at this time in his career.”
So…instead of signing with the New York Rangers, “small-town guy” Weber decided to go to Philadelphia, with its very passionate fanbase and metropolitan population of roughly 6 million? Uh, okay…
If the Predators let him go, then Weber could be in for quite an adjustment after spending his entire career to date in Nashville. That being said, Weber is one of the best defensemen in the league and I’m not about to bet against him.
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 0
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 27
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)