Jul 19, 2012, 6:00 PM EDT
As you’ve probably heard by now, the Philadelphia Flyers and Shea Weber have agreed to a massively frontloaded 14-year offer sheet. Nashville now has seven days to match it or accept draft picks as compensation for losing Weber.
It looks like Philadelphia wasn’t the only city that Weber considered signing with. According to ESPN’s sources, he did have some interest in playing with the New York Rangers. The problem is that Weber was apparently hesitant to accept the big city life that came with being a member of the Rangers.
“(Weber) is a small-town guy and (New York) is a huge city,” Weber’s agent, Jarrett Bousquet said. “With New York, it was nothing personal. He thought everything, from the ownership to the hockey operations to the coaching was unbelievable. (Philadelphia) just seemed to be a better fit at this time in his career.”
So…instead of signing with the New York Rangers, “small-town guy” Weber decided to go to Philadelphia, with its very passionate fanbase and metropolitan population of roughly 6 million? Uh, okay…
If the Predators let him go, then Weber could be in for quite an adjustment after spending his entire career to date in Nashville. That being said, Weber is one of the best defensemen in the league and I’m not about to bet against him.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)