Jul 19, 2012, 1:21 AM EDT
According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, the Nashville Predators had been talking to multiple teams including the Detroit Red Wings, San Jose Sharks, New York Rangers, and the Philadelphia Flyers about the possibility of trading restricted free agent Shea Weber. However, it seems the Flyers got tired of waiting.
Philly wants Weber, and apparently Weber wouldn’t mind wearing a Flyers uniform. Dreger is reporting that Philadelphia and the All-Star defenseman have agreed to a 14-year deal upwards of $100 million.
Before Flyers fans take to the streets in celebration, keep in mind that there’s one very big sticking point: the Nashville Predators will have a week to match this offer. If they choose to let him go, the Flyers will be forced to compensate Nashville with draft picks.
As we previously mentioned, Predators GM David Poile and the team’s ownership would be in for a huge backlash from the fans if they allowed Weber to walk, especially after their inability to re-sign Ryan Suter earlier this month.
On top of that, the Nashville Predators are currently $13,345,833 million under the salary floor with 18 players penciled in for their 2012-13 roster, according to Cap Geek. So not only do they have the space to afford this massive contract, they actually kind of need it just to get closer to the floor.
In some ways, this might turn out to be the Flyers handing the Predators the mother of all gifts. All Nashville has to do is match it and it’ll get him for the rest of his career.
That being said, maybe they’ll decide that this contract is too rich for them, even after factoring in their salary floor concerns. One consideration is that the contract is believed to be heavily frontloaded. If Nashville accepts the deal, they could have to pay Weber $26 million over the course of a single calender year.
One way or another, we’ll find out soon enough.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (67)