Jul 19, 2012, 1:21 AM EST
According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, the Nashville Predators had been talking to multiple teams including the Detroit Red Wings, San Jose Sharks, New York Rangers, and the Philadelphia Flyers about the possibility of trading restricted free agent Shea Weber. However, it seems the Flyers got tired of waiting.
Philly wants Weber, and apparently Weber wouldn’t mind wearing a Flyers uniform. Dreger is reporting that Philadelphia and the All-Star defenseman have agreed to a 14-year deal upwards of $100 million.
Before Flyers fans take to the streets in celebration, keep in mind that there’s one very big sticking point: the Nashville Predators will have a week to match this offer. If they choose to let him go, the Flyers will be forced to compensate Nashville with draft picks.
As we previously mentioned, Predators GM David Poile and the team’s ownership would be in for a huge backlash from the fans if they allowed Weber to walk, especially after their inability to re-sign Ryan Suter earlier this month.
On top of that, the Nashville Predators are currently $13,345,833 million under the salary floor with 18 players penciled in for their 2012-13 roster, according to Cap Geek. So not only do they have the space to afford this massive contract, they actually kind of need it just to get closer to the floor.
In some ways, this might turn out to be the Flyers handing the Predators the mother of all gifts. All Nashville has to do is match it and it’ll get him for the rest of his career.
That being said, maybe they’ll decide that this contract is too rich for them, even after factoring in their salary floor concerns. One consideration is that the contract is believed to be heavily frontloaded. If Nashville accepts the deal, they could have to pay Weber $26 million over the course of a single calender year.
One way or another, we’ll find out soon enough.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)