Jul 19, 2012, 3:17 PM EST
TSN’s Darren Dreger has revealed two key developments that paved the way to Philadelphia signing Shea Weber to a 14-year, $110 million offer sheet.
The first is that Nashville GM David Poile and Philly GM Paul Holmgren were in trade talks for Weber — talks that stalled, according to Dreger, with several deadlines passed. Holmgren simply grew tired of waiting, and signed Weber to the sheet.
The second development is equally important, and tied into the first:
Poile was asking for a boatload in return (as you’d expect.)
“Won’t spent much time scouring for Weber trade details,” Dreger tweeted. “But I’ve heard Preds wanted Couturier, Schenn and something else from Flyers. Ouch.”
“Couturier” is, of course, Sean Couturier, the 19-year-old that scored 27 points in 77 games last year in an impressive rookie campaign. He then upped the ante in a first-round victory over Pittsburgh by blanketing Evgeni Malkin and becoming the second-youngest player in NHL history to record a postseason hat-trick.
“Schenn” is presumably Brayden Schenn, 20, who had 12 goals in 54 games during the regular season, then scored nine points in 11 playoff games, finishing third on the team in assists.
(One could make the argument it’s Braydon’s brother, Luke, the 22-year-old defenseman acquired from Toronto, as the Preds might want a replacement defenseman coming back in the deal. But that would be a stretch, especially since Brayden is more highly-touted — if you’re asking for the moon in return for Weber, you’re asking for the more highly-touted Schenn.)
(Or maybe Nashville just wants ALL THE SCHENNS. H/T to JR Lind for that one.)
It’s understandable the Flyers wouldn’t want to part with Couturier and Brayden Schenn, two of the cornerstones of their young forward group. Philly already flipped 23-year-old James van Riemsdyk to Toronto — that, along with the departure of Jaromir Jagr, suggests increased roles for both Couturier and Schenn next season.
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 2
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 57
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 80
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)