Jul 19, 2012, 1:19 PM EDT
From July 16-Aug 16, we’ll be profiling all 30 NHL teams by recapping what they did this offseason and previewing their upcoming campaigns.
49-29-4, 102 points. First in the Northeast Division, second in the Eastern Conference. Lost in opening round of playoffs to Washington (4-3).
Aaron Johnson, Garnet Exelby, Christian Hanson
1st round, 24th overall — Malcolm Subban (OHL Belleville)
It was a quiet offseason for Boston save one incident: Tim Thomas taking a year’s sabbatical to focus on “friends, family and faith.”
This put Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli in a unique position — after consciously retaining most of his Cup-winning roster from 2011 (and adding few pieces to it), he proceeded to lose the guy most responsible for winning it.
The Bruins will likely keep the trade doors open (most popular names are David Krejci and Milan Lucic) in the event they need to add offense at some point. It’s still unclear what kind of condition concussed forward Nathan Horton is in, and Boston did lose a bit of goalscoring with Pouliot (who netted 16 last year.)
For a team laden with veterans and experienced players, Boston’s 2012-13 campaign could rely heavily on a pair of youngsters. Tuukka Rask, 25, will be the opening-night starter for the first time in his career and the Bruins will need him to shoulder a heavy workload — probably more than the career-high 45 appearances made in 2009-10.
On defense, hopes are high for OHL Niagara product Dougie Hamilton, taken ninth overall in 2011. Hamilton, 19, was named the OHL’s best defenseman a year ago with one scout calling him “the best defenseman outside the NHL.” Hopes are high he can come in and play a top-four role, possibly sparking a Bruins power play that only scored 43 times last year, 22nd in the league.
Have your say
Vote in our poll and let us know what you think of the Bruins’ 2012-13 outlook in the comments section.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)