Jul 19, 2012, 1:19 PM EDT
From July 16-Aug 16, we’ll be profiling all 30 NHL teams by recapping what they did this offseason and previewing their upcoming campaigns.
49-29-4, 102 points. First in the Northeast Division, second in the Eastern Conference. Lost in opening round of playoffs to Washington (4-3).
Aaron Johnson, Garnet Exelby, Christian Hanson
1st round, 24th overall — Malcolm Subban (OHL Belleville)
It was a quiet offseason for Boston save one incident: Tim Thomas taking a year’s sabbatical to focus on “friends, family and faith.”
This put Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli in a unique position — after consciously retaining most of his Cup-winning roster from 2011 (and adding few pieces to it), he proceeded to lose the guy most responsible for winning it.
The Bruins will likely keep the trade doors open (most popular names are David Krejci and Milan Lucic) in the event they need to add offense at some point. It’s still unclear what kind of condition concussed forward Nathan Horton is in, and Boston did lose a bit of goalscoring with Pouliot (who netted 16 last year.)
For a team laden with veterans and experienced players, Boston’s 2012-13 campaign could rely heavily on a pair of youngsters. Tuukka Rask, 25, will be the opening-night starter for the first time in his career and the Bruins will need him to shoulder a heavy workload — probably more than the career-high 45 appearances made in 2009-10.
On defense, hopes are high for OHL Niagara product Dougie Hamilton, taken ninth overall in 2011. Hamilton, 19, was named the OHL’s best defenseman a year ago with one scout calling him “the best defenseman outside the NHL.” Hopes are high he can come in and play a top-four role, possibly sparking a Bruins power play that only scored 43 times last year, 22nd in the league.
Have your say
Vote in our poll and let us know what you think of the Bruins’ 2012-13 outlook in the comments section.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)