Jul 19, 2012, 1:19 PM EDT
From July 16-Aug 16, we’ll be profiling all 30 NHL teams by recapping what they did this offseason and previewing their upcoming campaigns.
49-29-4, 102 points. First in the Northeast Division, second in the Eastern Conference. Lost in opening round of playoffs to Washington (4-3).
Aaron Johnson, Garnet Exelby, Christian Hanson
1st round, 24th overall — Malcolm Subban (OHL Belleville)
It was a quiet offseason for Boston save one incident: Tim Thomas taking a year’s sabbatical to focus on “friends, family and faith.”
This put Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli in a unique position — after consciously retaining most of his Cup-winning roster from 2011 (and adding few pieces to it), he proceeded to lose the guy most responsible for winning it.
The Bruins will likely keep the trade doors open (most popular names are David Krejci and Milan Lucic) in the event they need to add offense at some point. It’s still unclear what kind of condition concussed forward Nathan Horton is in, and Boston did lose a bit of goalscoring with Pouliot (who netted 16 last year.)
For a team laden with veterans and experienced players, Boston’s 2012-13 campaign could rely heavily on a pair of youngsters. Tuukka Rask, 25, will be the opening-night starter for the first time in his career and the Bruins will need him to shoulder a heavy workload — probably more than the career-high 45 appearances made in 2009-10.
On defense, hopes are high for OHL Niagara product Dougie Hamilton, taken ninth overall in 2011. Hamilton, 19, was named the OHL’s best defenseman a year ago with one scout calling him “the best defenseman outside the NHL.” Hopes are high he can come in and play a top-four role, possibly sparking a Bruins power play that only scored 43 times last year, 22nd in the league.
Have your say
Vote in our poll and let us know what you think of the Bruins’ 2012-13 outlook in the comments section.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)