Jul 19, 2012, 12:45 PM EDT
The Minnesota Wild have signed Mathew Dumba — taken seventh overall at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft — to a three-year entry-level contract. Financial terms of the deal were not released.
Dumba, who doesn’t turn 18 until July 25, is officially the youngest player signed to the Wild. The WHL Red Deer product recently played to rave reviews at Minnesota’s prospect development camp, showing a blend of physicality and offensive skill that had him marked as one of the best defensemen from this year’s draft crop.
While it seems unlikely that Dumba will play in Minnesota next year — in addition to being young, he’s only 5-foot-11, 184 pounds — there is an outside chance he could compete for a spot on the Wild’s relatively thin blueline.
In all likelihood, though, he’ll be going back to the WHL, a league that he dominated a season ago. Dumba led all defensemen with 20 goals and chipped in with 37 assists. He also led Red Deer in power play goals (nine) and, in 2010-11, was the WHL’s Rookie of the Year.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)