Jul 19, 2012, 12:45 PM EDT
The Minnesota Wild have signed Mathew Dumba — taken seventh overall at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft — to a three-year entry-level contract. Financial terms of the deal were not released.
Dumba, who doesn’t turn 18 until July 25, is officially the youngest player signed to the Wild. The WHL Red Deer product recently played to rave reviews at Minnesota’s prospect development camp, showing a blend of physicality and offensive skill that had him marked as one of the best defensemen from this year’s draft crop.
While it seems unlikely that Dumba will play in Minnesota next year — in addition to being young, he’s only 5-foot-11, 184 pounds — there is an outside chance he could compete for a spot on the Wild’s relatively thin blueline.
In all likelihood, though, he’ll be going back to the WHL, a league that he dominated a season ago. Dumba led all defensemen with 20 goals and chipped in with 37 assists. He also led Red Deer in power play goals (nine) and, in 2010-11, was the WHL’s Rookie of the Year.
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 3
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 13
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 19
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 52
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 21
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (52)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)