Jul 19, 2012, 7:02 PM EDT
As we previously reported, Mount Pearl Junior Blades coach Brian Cranford, who has been volunteering in that position for the last 20 years, was suspended for the 2012-13 season after he allowed his players to skip the opening ceremony of the Don Johnson Cup tournament. He did so because they were in the middle of their university exams.
Well, Cranford has since received a bit of good news as his suspension has been overturned.
“In the interests of fairness, the [appeals committee] has determined that the decision to suspend the appellant should be overturned and, as such, the appellant’s suspension shall be lifted, effective immediately,” Hockey Canada stated in a letter, according to CBC.
They determined that Cranford did breached the tournament regulations. However, the prescribed punishment for such a transgression was already listed in the rules and it did not include the suspension of the coach.
“Had HNL wished to reserve the right to suspend the appellant, it should have included wording to that effect in … the regulations, so that anyone who was considering failing to appear at the opening ceremonies and banquet would have been fully aware of the consequences of taking that action,” the letter stated.
It’s worth adding that Hockey Newfoundland and Labrador gave Cranford an award last year.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 9
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)