Jul 19, 2012, 7:02 PM EST
As we previously reported, Mount Pearl Junior Blades coach Brian Cranford, who has been volunteering in that position for the last 20 years, was suspended for the 2012-13 season after he allowed his players to skip the opening ceremony of the Don Johnson Cup tournament. He did so because they were in the middle of their university exams.
Well, Cranford has since received a bit of good news as his suspension has been overturned.
“In the interests of fairness, the [appeals committee] has determined that the decision to suspend the appellant should be overturned and, as such, the appellant’s suspension shall be lifted, effective immediately,” Hockey Canada stated in a letter, according to CBC.
They determined that Cranford did breached the tournament regulations. However, the prescribed punishment for such a transgression was already listed in the rules and it did not include the suspension of the coach.
“Had HNL wished to reserve the right to suspend the appellant, it should have included wording to that effect in … the regulations, so that anyone who was considering failing to appear at the opening ceremonies and banquet would have been fully aware of the consequences of taking that action,” the letter stated.
It’s worth adding that Hockey Newfoundland and Labrador gave Cranford an award last year.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)