Jul 19, 2012, 7:02 PM EDT
As we previously reported, Mount Pearl Junior Blades coach Brian Cranford, who has been volunteering in that position for the last 20 years, was suspended for the 2012-13 season after he allowed his players to skip the opening ceremony of the Don Johnson Cup tournament. He did so because they were in the middle of their university exams.
Well, Cranford has since received a bit of good news as his suspension has been overturned.
“In the interests of fairness, the [appeals committee] has determined that the decision to suspend the appellant should be overturned and, as such, the appellant’s suspension shall be lifted, effective immediately,” Hockey Canada stated in a letter, according to CBC.
They determined that Cranford did breached the tournament regulations. However, the prescribed punishment for such a transgression was already listed in the rules and it did not include the suspension of the coach.
“Had HNL wished to reserve the right to suspend the appellant, it should have included wording to that effect in … the regulations, so that anyone who was considering failing to appear at the opening ceremonies and banquet would have been fully aware of the consequences of taking that action,” the letter stated.
It’s worth adding that Hockey Newfoundland and Labrador gave Cranford an award last year.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)