Jul 19, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, we continue with the Boston Bruins.
After winning the Stanley Cup, the Bruins suffered a bit of a hangover by going 3-7-0 in October. They bounced back in a big way to win the Northeast Division and secure the second seed. However, they ran into a hot goaltender in rookie Braden Holtby and were ultimately bested by the Washington Capitals in the first round of the 2012 playoffs.
Of course, the big story out of Boston this summer is that Tim Thomas has decided to take a year off. Losing a two-time Vezina Trophy winning goaltender is never good news, but Bruins fans do have reason to be optimistic with Tuukka Rask taking over. Rask has been a superb understudy for the last three seasons and should be a strong starter in 2012-13.
Will the Boston Bruins bounce back after a quick playoff exit? Stick around PHT today for more on that and other questions.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 7
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 7
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 16
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 57
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22