Jul 19, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, we continue with the Boston Bruins.
After winning the Stanley Cup, the Bruins suffered a bit of a hangover by going 3-7-0 in October. They bounced back in a big way to win the Northeast Division and secure the second seed. However, they ran into a hot goaltender in rookie Braden Holtby and were ultimately bested by the Washington Capitals in the first round of the 2012 playoffs.
Of course, the big story out of Boston this summer is that Tim Thomas has decided to take a year off. Losing a two-time Vezina Trophy winning goaltender is never good news, but Bruins fans do have reason to be optimistic with Tuukka Rask taking over. Rask has been a superb understudy for the last three seasons and should be a strong starter in 2012-13.
Will the Boston Bruins bounce back after a quick playoff exit? Stick around PHT today for more on that and other questions.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)