Jul 19, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, we continue with the Boston Bruins.
After winning the Stanley Cup, the Bruins suffered a bit of a hangover by going 3-7-0 in October. They bounced back in a big way to win the Northeast Division and secure the second seed. However, they ran into a hot goaltender in rookie Braden Holtby and were ultimately bested by the Washington Capitals in the first round of the 2012 playoffs.
Of course, the big story out of Boston this summer is that Tim Thomas has decided to take a year off. Losing a two-time Vezina Trophy winning goaltender is never good news, but Bruins fans do have reason to be optimistic with Tuukka Rask taking over. Rask has been a superb understudy for the last three seasons and should be a strong starter in 2012-13.
Will the Boston Bruins bounce back after a quick playoff exit? Stick around PHT today for more on that and other questions.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 61
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5