Jul 19, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, we continue with the Boston Bruins.
After winning the Stanley Cup, the Bruins suffered a bit of a hangover by going 3-7-0 in October. They bounced back in a big way to win the Northeast Division and secure the second seed. However, they ran into a hot goaltender in rookie Braden Holtby and were ultimately bested by the Washington Capitals in the first round of the 2012 playoffs.
Of course, the big story out of Boston this summer is that Tim Thomas has decided to take a year off. Losing a two-time Vezina Trophy winning goaltender is never good news, but Bruins fans do have reason to be optimistic with Tuukka Rask taking over. Rask has been a superb understudy for the last three seasons and should be a strong starter in 2012-13.
Will the Boston Bruins bounce back after a quick playoff exit? Stick around PHT today for more on that and other questions.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (68)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)