Jul 19, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, we continue with the Boston Bruins.
After winning the Stanley Cup, the Bruins suffered a bit of a hangover by going 3-7-0 in October. They bounced back in a big way to win the Northeast Division and secure the second seed. However, they ran into a hot goaltender in rookie Braden Holtby and were ultimately bested by the Washington Capitals in the first round of the 2012 playoffs.
Of course, the big story out of Boston this summer is that Tim Thomas has decided to take a year off. Losing a two-time Vezina Trophy winning goaltender is never good news, but Bruins fans do have reason to be optimistic with Tuukka Rask taking over. Rask has been a superb understudy for the last three seasons and should be a strong starter in 2012-13.
Will the Boston Bruins bounce back after a quick playoff exit? Stick around PHT today for more on that and other questions.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)