It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT

Jul 19, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT

Tuukka Rask Getty Images

Welcome to our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.

From July 16 until Aug. 14, we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.

There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.

Today, we continue with the Boston Bruins.

After winning the Stanley Cup, the Bruins suffered a bit of a hangover by going 3-7-0 in October. They bounced back in a big way to win the Northeast Division and secure the second seed. However, they ran into a hot goaltender in rookie Braden Holtby and were ultimately bested by the Washington Capitals in the first round of the 2012 playoffs.

Of course, the big story out of Boston this summer is that Tim Thomas has decided to take a year off. Losing a two-time Vezina Trophy winning goaltender is never good news, but Bruins fans do have reason to be optimistic with Tuukka Rask taking over. Rask has been a superb understudy for the last three seasons and should be a strong starter in 2012-13.

Beyond that, the big question surrounding the Bruins is if Nathan Horton (concussion) will be ready for training camp. Back in June, they got encouraging news regarding Horton’s recovery.

Will the Boston Bruins bounce back after a quick playoff exit? Stick around PHT today for more on that and other questions.

1. DED - Jul 19, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Well, with Thomas out of the picture, the team will have less off-ice drama to distract them. I think Rask is up to the task of handling the #1 spot in goal. I think the Bruins finish #1 in the division, #2 at worst.

• drewsylvania - Jul 19, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Dunno about the finish, but the rest is spot on. Always depends on injuries–plus, I think the Bruins realize that it doesn’t matter where you finish in the conference as long as you make the playoffs.

2. capesouth - Jul 19, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Feeling good about them. They can obviously get the job done. Add a long off-season to rest, the continued growth of Seguin and Hamilton, the return of Horton, and maybe some more desire to re-take the cup, it should be a good season. Plus, many of their players are in contracts years..so $ motivation is there.

3. hockeyflow33 - Jul 19, 2012 at 11:19 AM

I’m not sold on Rask and I think Khudobin may be a better goaltender. People seem to forget that Rask has never been a number one goalie, is incredibly injury prone and has never played more than 45 games in a season

• capesouth - Jul 19, 2012 at 11:28 AM

He’s played more games in a season then Khubodin. So there is more ‘data’ there to back up Rask than Khudobin. I also don’t think he is injury prone. His injuries have been pretty minor for a goaltender. Last year sucked but I dont think that makes him injury prone or a risky bet for the Bs. He’s on a one year deal anyways. Pretty good situation for the Bs.

• hockeyflow33 - Jul 19, 2012 at 11:33 AM

The knee and groin issues back to back are frightening, he’s not a kid anymore.

• ballistictrajectory - Jul 19, 2012 at 11:29 AM

He also has a history of allowing soft goals at critical times in PVD. If the ratio of spectacular saves to soft goals remains 4:1 or greater then I guess it’s a wash, but, if those soft goals are GW goals then it really hurts the team.

Overall he’s ready to get his opportunity. I hope he makes the most of it.

4. habsman - Jul 19, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Oh joy, it’s Bruin day.

Not to be confused with Martin Luther King day.

• hockeyflow33 - Jul 19, 2012 at 11:31 AM

We’ll try not confuse Montreal day with a pride parade

5. gallyhatch - Jul 19, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Hey PHT, why do certain posters get away with making racially charged comments?
    Kind of bolsters my theory that the most inflammatory commenters are actually PHT staff just stirring the pot.
    Prove me wrong and ban this troll, please.

• hockeyflow33 - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:40 PM

why ban him? god forbid you read something you don’t like

6. lordstanley65 - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Notice how Habsman is always calling Boston a “racist cesspool” yet he’s the first to ring out with a statement like that. Stay classy, Habsman. Just like your home city.

7. lordstanley65 - Jul 19, 2012 at 2:45 PM

I’m not saying ban him. He makes me laugh!

8. bennywuh - Jul 19, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I just cant get enough of the Ice Girls slideshow. not sure what you guys are all talking about

Top 10 NHL Player Searches