Jul 19, 2012, 11:04 AM EDT
The Washington Capitals continued to lock up members of their promising 2012 draft class on Thursday, signing 16th overall pick Thomas Wilson to a three-year, contract worth $2.5 million.
According to Chuck Gormley of CSN Washington, Wilson will earn $832,500 at the NHL level and $70,000 at the AHL level — the exact same entry-evel deal Washington’s other first-round pick, Filip Forsberg (11th overall), signed last week.
Wilson, one of the most physical players taken at the draft, stands 6-foot-4, 203-pounds and wowed the Caps with his hard hitting style at last week’s prospect development camp.
“Boy, the first three or four shifts of the opening scrimmage I was worried that if he did that all week we’d have only two or three players left on the ice,” Caps GM George McPhee said. “We got him to settle down and protect everybody else for the rest of the week.
“We like him a lot. Great kid, great character and he’s going to be a pretty effective player.”
Wilson is likely to return to junior hockey this season and suit up for OHL Plymouth. That should be good for his development — last year, he had 27 points and 141 penalty minutes in 49 games and, in a poll of the OHL’s Western Conference coaches, was selected as the “Best Body Checker” and finished in second place for the “Hardest Worker” title.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)