Jul 19, 2012, 11:04 AM EDT
The Washington Capitals continued to lock up members of their promising 2012 draft class on Thursday, signing 16th overall pick Thomas Wilson to a three-year, contract worth $2.5 million.
According to Chuck Gormley of CSN Washington, Wilson will earn $832,500 at the NHL level and $70,000 at the AHL level — the exact same entry-evel deal Washington’s other first-round pick, Filip Forsberg (11th overall), signed last week.
Wilson, one of the most physical players taken at the draft, stands 6-foot-4, 203-pounds and wowed the Caps with his hard hitting style at last week’s prospect development camp.
“Boy, the first three or four shifts of the opening scrimmage I was worried that if he did that all week we’d have only two or three players left on the ice,” Caps GM George McPhee said. “We got him to settle down and protect everybody else for the rest of the week.
“We like him a lot. Great kid, great character and he’s going to be a pretty effective player.”
Wilson is likely to return to junior hockey this season and suit up for OHL Plymouth. That should be good for his development — last year, he had 27 points and 141 penalty minutes in 49 games and, in a poll of the OHL’s Western Conference coaches, was selected as the “Best Body Checker” and finished in second place for the “Hardest Worker” title.
- BREAKING: Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 20
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 20
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 12
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 43
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 27
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 49
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)