Jul 19, 2012, 11:04 AM EDT
The Washington Capitals continued to lock up members of their promising 2012 draft class on Thursday, signing 16th overall pick Thomas Wilson to a three-year, contract worth $2.5 million.
According to Chuck Gormley of CSN Washington, Wilson will earn $832,500 at the NHL level and $70,000 at the AHL level — the exact same entry-evel deal Washington’s other first-round pick, Filip Forsberg (11th overall), signed last week.
Wilson, one of the most physical players taken at the draft, stands 6-foot-4, 203-pounds and wowed the Caps with his hard hitting style at last week’s prospect development camp.
“Boy, the first three or four shifts of the opening scrimmage I was worried that if he did that all week we’d have only two or three players left on the ice,” Caps GM George McPhee said. “We got him to settle down and protect everybody else for the rest of the week.
“We like him a lot. Great kid, great character and he’s going to be a pretty effective player.”
Wilson is likely to return to junior hockey this season and suit up for OHL Plymouth. That should be good for his development — last year, he had 27 points and 141 penalty minutes in 49 games and, in a poll of the OHL’s Western Conference coaches, was selected as the “Best Body Checker” and finished in second place for the “Hardest Worker” title.
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 0
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 2
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 14
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 56
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (68)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)