Jul 19, 2012, 11:04 AM EDT
The Washington Capitals continued to lock up members of their promising 2012 draft class on Thursday, signing 16th overall pick Thomas Wilson to a three-year, contract worth $2.5 million.
According to Chuck Gormley of CSN Washington, Wilson will earn $832,500 at the NHL level and $70,000 at the AHL level — the exact same entry-evel deal Washington’s other first-round pick, Filip Forsberg (11th overall), signed last week.
Wilson, one of the most physical players taken at the draft, stands 6-foot-4, 203-pounds and wowed the Caps with his hard hitting style at last week’s prospect development camp.
“Boy, the first three or four shifts of the opening scrimmage I was worried that if he did that all week we’d have only two or three players left on the ice,” Caps GM George McPhee said. “We got him to settle down and protect everybody else for the rest of the week.
“We like him a lot. Great kid, great character and he’s going to be a pretty effective player.”
Wilson is likely to return to junior hockey this season and suit up for OHL Plymouth. That should be good for his development — last year, he had 27 points and 141 penalty minutes in 49 games and, in a poll of the OHL’s Western Conference coaches, was selected as the “Best Body Checker” and finished in second place for the “Hardest Worker” title.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)