Jul 19, 2012, 11:04 AM EDT
The Washington Capitals continued to lock up members of their promising 2012 draft class on Thursday, signing 16th overall pick Thomas Wilson to a three-year, contract worth $2.5 million.
According to Chuck Gormley of CSN Washington, Wilson will earn $832,500 at the NHL level and $70,000 at the AHL level — the exact same entry-evel deal Washington’s other first-round pick, Filip Forsberg (11th overall), signed last week.
Wilson, one of the most physical players taken at the draft, stands 6-foot-4, 203-pounds and wowed the Caps with his hard hitting style at last week’s prospect development camp.
“Boy, the first three or four shifts of the opening scrimmage I was worried that if he did that all week we’d have only two or three players left on the ice,” Caps GM George McPhee said. “We got him to settle down and protect everybody else for the rest of the week.
“We like him a lot. Great kid, great character and he’s going to be a pretty effective player.”
Wilson is likely to return to junior hockey this season and suit up for OHL Plymouth. That should be good for his development — last year, he had 27 points and 141 penalty minutes in 49 games and, in a poll of the OHL’s Western Conference coaches, was selected as the “Best Body Checker” and finished in second place for the “Hardest Worker” title.
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 0
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 0
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 3
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 24
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 74
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 8
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 22
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Video: Vlasic’s controversial delay of game penalty 22
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronkowski 'probably' needs back surgery, too
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness