Jul 18, 2012, 10:42 AM EST
If only it weren’t the Detroit Red Wings. Any other team and the Rick Nash trade saga could be over by now.
A source tells mlive.com that the Wings made “a hell of an offer” for the Blue Jackets’ captain, and got crickets in response.
No counteroffer, no back and forth negotiation, nothing.
It is clear Columbus has no intention of trading the face of its franchise to the team it considers to be its top rival, a Detroit club that has dominated the Blue Jackets since they entered the NHL in 2000-01.
The last thing Columbus general manager Scott Howson wants to see is Nash being paired with Pavel Datsyuk and his Blue Jackets having to deal with that scenario six times a season.
It wasn’t reported what exactly the “hell of an offer” was, so we don’t even know if Howson would’ve accepted. If the source is within the Wings’ organization, they aren’t going to say it was a so-so offer, are they?
Anyway, Detroit is one of the few teams on Nash’s approved list. The others are reportedly Philadelphia, New York (Rangers), Pittsburgh, Boston and San Jose.
Be nice if one of them made a hell of an offer soon.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)