Jul 18, 2012, 10:56 PM EST
The problem is that Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson wants Logan Couture in return, which isn’t acceptable to the Sharks. Couture had more goals and points than Nash last season, is about five years younger, and is about to start a very affordable two-year, $5,750,000 contract.
On the other hand, Nash comes with a $7.8 million annual cap hit, which is particularly unappealing given the current CBA uncertainty. That being said, Nash has scored at least 27 goals in each of the last eight seasons despite the fact that he’s rarely had much of a supporting cast. If he were paired up with Joe Thornton, he might have one of the best seasons of his career.
I don’t think he’s worth Couture in the salary cap era — and it’s likely the Blue Jackets were asking for other pieces on top of Couture if the previous reports about the Blue Jackets’ asking price are to be believed — but if Howson lowers his demands, then it wouldn’t be surprising to see the Sharks resume their pursuit of him.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)