Jul 18, 2012, 10:56 PM EST
The problem is that Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson wants Logan Couture in return, which isn’t acceptable to the Sharks. Couture had more goals and points than Nash last season, is about five years younger, and is about to start a very affordable two-year, $5,750,000 contract.
On the other hand, Nash comes with a $7.8 million annual cap hit, which is particularly unappealing given the current CBA uncertainty. That being said, Nash has scored at least 27 goals in each of the last eight seasons despite the fact that he’s rarely had much of a supporting cast. If he were paired up with Joe Thornton, he might have one of the best seasons of his career.
I don’t think he’s worth Couture in the salary cap era — and it’s likely the Blue Jackets were asking for other pieces on top of Couture if the previous reports about the Blue Jackets’ asking price are to be believed — but if Howson lowers his demands, then it wouldn’t be surprising to see the Sharks resume their pursuit of him.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)