Jul 18, 2012, 10:56 PM EST
The problem is that Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson wants Logan Couture in return, which isn’t acceptable to the Sharks. Couture had more goals and points than Nash last season, is about five years younger, and is about to start a very affordable two-year, $5,750,000 contract.
On the other hand, Nash comes with a $7.8 million annual cap hit, which is particularly unappealing given the current CBA uncertainty. That being said, Nash has scored at least 27 goals in each of the last eight seasons despite the fact that he’s rarely had much of a supporting cast. If he were paired up with Joe Thornton, he might have one of the best seasons of his career.
I don’t think he’s worth Couture in the salary cap era — and it’s likely the Blue Jackets were asking for other pieces on top of Couture if the previous reports about the Blue Jackets’ asking price are to be believed — but if Howson lowers his demands, then it wouldn’t be surprising to see the Sharks resume their pursuit of him.
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 0
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 8
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 10
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 14
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 6
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 34
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2