Jul 18, 2012, 10:56 PM EST
The problem is that Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson wants Logan Couture in return, which isn’t acceptable to the Sharks. Couture had more goals and points than Nash last season, is about five years younger, and is about to start a very affordable two-year, $5,750,000 contract.
On the other hand, Nash comes with a $7.8 million annual cap hit, which is particularly unappealing given the current CBA uncertainty. That being said, Nash has scored at least 27 goals in each of the last eight seasons despite the fact that he’s rarely had much of a supporting cast. If he were paired up with Joe Thornton, he might have one of the best seasons of his career.
I don’t think he’s worth Couture in the salary cap era — and it’s likely the Blue Jackets were asking for other pieces on top of Couture if the previous reports about the Blue Jackets’ asking price are to be believed — but if Howson lowers his demands, then it wouldn’t be surprising to see the Sharks resume their pursuit of him.
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 24
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 1
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 16
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)