Jul 18, 2012, 10:56 PM EDT
The problem is that Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson wants Logan Couture in return, which isn’t acceptable to the Sharks. Couture had more goals and points than Nash last season, is about five years younger, and is about to start a very affordable two-year, $5,750,000 contract.
On the other hand, Nash comes with a $7.8 million annual cap hit, which is particularly unappealing given the current CBA uncertainty. That being said, Nash has scored at least 27 goals in each of the last eight seasons despite the fact that he’s rarely had much of a supporting cast. If he were paired up with Joe Thornton, he might have one of the best seasons of his career.
I don’t think he’s worth Couture in the salary cap era — and it’s likely the Blue Jackets were asking for other pieces on top of Couture if the previous reports about the Blue Jackets’ asking price are to be believed — but if Howson lowers his demands, then it wouldn’t be surprising to see the Sharks resume their pursuit of him.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)