Jul 18, 2012, 11:36 AM EST
We’re only going to comment on one of Elliotte Friedman’s 30 44 thoughts, because you should just go read the column yourself.
The thought we chose relates to Shea Weber and the possibility of Nashville’s captain receiving an offer sheet:
Been a lot written about a one-year, huge-money offer sheet. Think a couple of good teams have at least thought about it. Look, if you really believe getting Weber is going to mean giving up four 27th picks, he’s worth it. Now, I know the counter: what if he leaves you after just one year? This is the dicey part: you almost need a nudge-nudge, wink-wink “understanding” that he’s going to stay. And, if Gary Bettman finds out, he’s going to CRUSH the team that does it. Google “David Stern Joe Smith Timberwolves.”
To save you a Google search, in 2000, Stern took away five first-round picks from the T-Wolves (and fined them $3.5 million) after Minnesota GM Kevin McHale secretly promised Smith a big contract in the future if he signed for a song in the present (because McHale needed the cap space immediately).
And that’s the problem with offer-sheeting Weber. If it’s for one year, how do you know he’ll stay longer than that (without meeting his agent at 2 a.m. in an underground parking garage)? And if it’s a multi-year offer, Weber probably doesn’t sign because he knows the Preds will match.
We suppose there’s a chance the offer is so massive the Preds let him walk and take the four first-round picks, but ownership and GM David Poile would get absolutely ripped by the fans for that. Not only have the Preds said they’ll match, failing to get any NHL-ready talent in return could mean a real tough 2012-13 season in Nashville, and likely beyond.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)