Jul 18, 2012, 12:47 PM EDT
From July 16-Aug 16, we’ll be profiling all 30 NHL teams by recapping what they did this offseason and previewing their upcoming campaigns.
49-22-11, 109 points. First in the Central Division, second in the Western Conference.
Jeff Woywitka, Taylor Chorney
1st round, 25th overall — Jordan Schmaltz (Green Bay, USHL)
GM Doug Armstrong failed to land any significant unrestricted free agents on July 1, a fact that had many Blues fans upset. However, Armstrong hasn’t been sitting around doing nothing since his team was swept by the Kings in second round.
So far this summer, the Blues have signed highly touted prospect Vladimir Tarasenko to a three year entry-level deal, re-signed RFAs David Perron and Chris Stewart, as well as re-upped with potential UFAs Barret Jackman, Jamie Langenbrunner, and Scott Nichol.
But save for Tarasenko, unless Armstrong makes a move, next year’s lineup could be extremely similar to last year’s.
Armstrong still has to get TJ Oshie under contract, be it via negotiation or arbitration. The Blues would like to get Oshie locked up long-term.
Suffice to say cap space is no problem for Armstrong. In fact, the Blues have yet to reach the cap floor. That said, they need to mindful of the fact Alex Pietrangelo, Kevin Shattenkirk, Chris Stewart, Patrik Berglund and Matt D’Agostini are set to become RFAs next summer, and the first two especially will be in line for big raises.
Have your say
Vote in our poll and let us know what you think of the Rangers’ 2012-13 outlook in the comments section.
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)