Jul 18, 2012, 12:47 PM EST
From July 16-Aug 16, we’ll be profiling all 30 NHL teams by recapping what they did this offseason and previewing their upcoming campaigns.
49-22-11, 109 points. First in the Central Division, second in the Western Conference.
Jeff Woywitka, Taylor Chorney
1st round, 25th overall — Jordan Schmaltz (Green Bay, USHL)
GM Doug Armstrong failed to land any significant unrestricted free agents on July 1, a fact that had many Blues fans upset. However, Armstrong hasn’t been sitting around doing nothing since his team was swept by the Kings in second round.
So far this summer, the Blues have signed highly touted prospect Vladimir Tarasenko to a three year entry-level deal, re-signed RFAs David Perron and Chris Stewart, as well as re-upped with potential UFAs Barret Jackman, Jamie Langenbrunner, and Scott Nichol.
But save for Tarasenko, unless Armstrong makes a move, next year’s lineup could be extremely similar to last year’s.
Armstrong still has to get TJ Oshie under contract, be it via negotiation or arbitration. The Blues would like to get Oshie locked up long-term.
Suffice to say cap space is no problem for Armstrong. In fact, the Blues have yet to reach the cap floor. That said, they need to mindful of the fact Alex Pietrangelo, Kevin Shattenkirk, Chris Stewart, Patrik Berglund and Matt D’Agostini are set to become RFAs next summer, and the first two especially will be in line for big raises.
Have your say
Vote in our poll and let us know what you think of the Rangers’ 2012-13 outlook in the comments section.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 44
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 57
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 61
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 34
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 167
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (167)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (62)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)