Jul 18, 2012, 2:16 PM EDT
For those praying for an end to the painfully drawn-out Shane Doan sweepstakes (presumably everyone but gossip peddlers like PHT), sorry to say, but Phoenix GM Don Maloney thinks it “may be weeks” until a contract gets signed.
“I still remain confident that we will be able to sign Shane,” Maloney told The Arizona Republic. “Nothing has changed in that respect. We still have regular communication despite everything you see and read.”
Doan’s reluctance to sign is mostly good news for Coyotes fans, as it confirms his first choice is to stay put. If he wanted to leave, he’d be gone to one of the many interested teams with stable ownership by now.
However, it also re-enforces the fact the Coyotes still don’t have an owner and Doan isn’t 100-percent confident Greg Jamison will close on the purchase.
On Monday, club president Mike Nealy provided an update on the ownership situation.
“It’s still moving forward,” Nealy said. “It’s zigging and zagging a bit but Greg Jamison is still working toward the ultimate resolution with the public issues that are out there. At the end of the day, the league is still interested in keeping the team here.”
In other Coyotes news, Maloney has spoken to goalie Mike Smith‘s agent about a contract extension, and hopes to have further discussions later in the summer once Doan’s made up his mind.
Smith, 30, is signed through next season, after which he can become an unrestricted free agent.
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 4
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 15
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 8
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)