Jul 18, 2012, 2:16 PM EDT
For those praying for an end to the painfully drawn-out Shane Doan sweepstakes (presumably everyone but gossip peddlers like PHT), sorry to say, but Phoenix GM Don Maloney thinks it “may be weeks” until a contract gets signed.
“I still remain confident that we will be able to sign Shane,” Maloney told The Arizona Republic. “Nothing has changed in that respect. We still have regular communication despite everything you see and read.”
Doan’s reluctance to sign is mostly good news for Coyotes fans, as it confirms his first choice is to stay put. If he wanted to leave, he’d be gone to one of the many interested teams with stable ownership by now.
However, it also re-enforces the fact the Coyotes still don’t have an owner and Doan isn’t 100-percent confident Greg Jamison will close on the purchase.
On Monday, club president Mike Nealy provided an update on the ownership situation.
“It’s still moving forward,” Nealy said. “It’s zigging and zagging a bit but Greg Jamison is still working toward the ultimate resolution with the public issues that are out there. At the end of the day, the league is still interested in keeping the team here.”
In other Coyotes news, Maloney has spoken to goalie Mike Smith‘s agent about a contract extension, and hopes to have further discussions later in the summer once Doan’s made up his mind.
Smith, 30, is signed through next season, after which he can become an unrestricted free agent.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)