Jul 18, 2012, 2:16 PM EST
For those praying for an end to the painfully drawn-out Shane Doan sweepstakes (presumably everyone but gossip peddlers like PHT), sorry to say, but Phoenix GM Don Maloney thinks it “may be weeks” until a contract gets signed.
“I still remain confident that we will be able to sign Shane,” Maloney told The Arizona Republic. “Nothing has changed in that respect. We still have regular communication despite everything you see and read.”
Doan’s reluctance to sign is mostly good news for Coyotes fans, as it confirms his first choice is to stay put. If he wanted to leave, he’d be gone to one of the many interested teams with stable ownership by now.
However, it also re-enforces the fact the Coyotes still don’t have an owner and Doan isn’t 100-percent confident Greg Jamison will close on the purchase.
On Monday, club president Mike Nealy provided an update on the ownership situation.
“It’s still moving forward,” Nealy said. “It’s zigging and zagging a bit but Greg Jamison is still working toward the ultimate resolution with the public issues that are out there. At the end of the day, the league is still interested in keeping the team here.”
In other Coyotes news, Maloney has spoken to goalie Mike Smith‘s agent about a contract extension, and hopes to have further discussions later in the summer once Doan’s made up his mind.
Smith, 30, is signed through next season, after which he can become an unrestricted free agent.
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 2
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 5
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 20
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7