Jul 18, 2012, 2:16 PM EDT
For those praying for an end to the painfully drawn-out Shane Doan sweepstakes (presumably everyone but gossip peddlers like PHT), sorry to say, but Phoenix GM Don Maloney thinks it “may be weeks” until a contract gets signed.
“I still remain confident that we will be able to sign Shane,” Maloney told The Arizona Republic. “Nothing has changed in that respect. We still have regular communication despite everything you see and read.”
Doan’s reluctance to sign is mostly good news for Coyotes fans, as it confirms his first choice is to stay put. If he wanted to leave, he’d be gone to one of the many interested teams with stable ownership by now.
However, it also re-enforces the fact the Coyotes still don’t have an owner and Doan isn’t 100-percent confident Greg Jamison will close on the purchase.
On Monday, club president Mike Nealy provided an update on the ownership situation.
“It’s still moving forward,” Nealy said. “It’s zigging and zagging a bit but Greg Jamison is still working toward the ultimate resolution with the public issues that are out there. At the end of the day, the league is still interested in keeping the team here.”
In other Coyotes news, Maloney has spoken to goalie Mike Smith‘s agent about a contract extension, and hopes to have further discussions later in the summer once Doan’s made up his mind.
Smith, 30, is signed through next season, after which he can become an unrestricted free agent.
- Giroux leaves ice after 15 minutes with lower-body injury 0
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 24
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)