Jul 18, 2012, 2:16 PM EDT
For those praying for an end to the painfully drawn-out Shane Doan sweepstakes (presumably everyone but gossip peddlers like PHT), sorry to say, but Phoenix GM Don Maloney thinks it “may be weeks” until a contract gets signed.
“I still remain confident that we will be able to sign Shane,” Maloney told The Arizona Republic. “Nothing has changed in that respect. We still have regular communication despite everything you see and read.”
Doan’s reluctance to sign is mostly good news for Coyotes fans, as it confirms his first choice is to stay put. If he wanted to leave, he’d be gone to one of the many interested teams with stable ownership by now.
However, it also re-enforces the fact the Coyotes still don’t have an owner and Doan isn’t 100-percent confident Greg Jamison will close on the purchase.
On Monday, club president Mike Nealy provided an update on the ownership situation.
“It’s still moving forward,” Nealy said. “It’s zigging and zagging a bit but Greg Jamison is still working toward the ultimate resolution with the public issues that are out there. At the end of the day, the league is still interested in keeping the team here.”
In other Coyotes news, Maloney has spoken to goalie Mike Smith‘s agent about a contract extension, and hopes to have further discussions later in the summer once Doan’s made up his mind.
Smith, 30, is signed through next season, after which he can become an unrestricted free agent.
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 21
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 32
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 23
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 25
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 40
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 91
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- PFT: Teammate says Titus Young opened up to him
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal
- Play Video: IIHF highlights: Sweden 3, Finland 0
- Play Video: Highlights: Crosby's hat-trick leads Pens in Game 2
- Play Video: Vokoun robs Greening
- Play Video: Crosby scores twice early on in Game 2