Jul 18, 2012, 6:39 PM EDT
The NHL and players’ union met on Wednesday with 15 players in attendance.
“I’ve been in a couple of these, and this is the most players that we’ve had,” Brandon Dubinsky said, according to a report from Jesse Spector of the Sporting News. “So I think that the players are together, and I think that we all want to play hockey this year.”
They were perhaps drawn to the event by the NHL’s first CBA proposal.
“Obviously, we’ve made some proposals,” NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said. “And they’re proposals that we believe need serious consideration for us to move forward. … We’re devoting as much time as the union wants in this process and we’re going to work very hard to work it through. … I’m focused on making a deal, not what’s going to happen if we don’t. I’m not even exploring what we might or might not do on September 15.”
For his part, NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr doesn’t see a need to shut the NHL down even if there’s no agreement by Sept. 15.
“I think everybody’s expecting us to say how upset and disappointed we were in there, but it’s a negotiation,” said Dubinsky. “That was their starting point.”
That’s true and let’s remember that both sides still have plenty of time to come to an agreement before we have to start worrying about losing games.
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 0
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 7
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 59
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 36
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 (61)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)