Jul 18, 2012, 6:39 PM EST
The NHL and players’ union met on Wednesday with 15 players in attendance.
“I’ve been in a couple of these, and this is the most players that we’ve had,” Brandon Dubinsky said, according to a report from Jesse Spector of the Sporting News. “So I think that the players are together, and I think that we all want to play hockey this year.”
They were perhaps drawn to the event by the NHL’s first CBA proposal.
“Obviously, we’ve made some proposals,” NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said. “And they’re proposals that we believe need serious consideration for us to move forward. … We’re devoting as much time as the union wants in this process and we’re going to work very hard to work it through. … I’m focused on making a deal, not what’s going to happen if we don’t. I’m not even exploring what we might or might not do on September 15.”
For his part, NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr doesn’t see a need to shut the NHL down even if there’s no agreement by Sept. 15.
“I think everybody’s expecting us to say how upset and disappointed we were in there, but it’s a negotiation,” said Dubinsky. “That was their starting point.”
That’s true and let’s remember that both sides still have plenty of time to come to an agreement before we have to start worrying about losing games.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 111
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 94
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 105
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (125)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (110)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (105)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (94)