Jul 18, 2012, 6:39 PM EST
The NHL and players’ union met on Wednesday with 15 players in attendance.
“I’ve been in a couple of these, and this is the most players that we’ve had,” Brandon Dubinsky said, according to a report from Jesse Spector of the Sporting News. “So I think that the players are together, and I think that we all want to play hockey this year.”
They were perhaps drawn to the event by the NHL’s first CBA proposal.
“Obviously, we’ve made some proposals,” NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said. “And they’re proposals that we believe need serious consideration for us to move forward. … We’re devoting as much time as the union wants in this process and we’re going to work very hard to work it through. … I’m focused on making a deal, not what’s going to happen if we don’t. I’m not even exploring what we might or might not do on September 15.”
For his part, NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr doesn’t see a need to shut the NHL down even if there’s no agreement by Sept. 15.
“I think everybody’s expecting us to say how upset and disappointed we were in there, but it’s a negotiation,” said Dubinsky. “That was their starting point.”
That’s true and let’s remember that both sides still have plenty of time to come to an agreement before we have to start worrying about losing games.
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 9
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 13
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 31
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 65
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)