Jul 17, 2012, 2:23 PM EST
According to Andi Petrillo of Hockey Night in Canada, the Toronto Maple Leafs have made an offer for Kings goalie Jonathan Bernier.
The Columbus Blue Jackets are also reportedly interested in the 11th overall pick from the 2006 draft.
If the Leafs have indeed made an offer, it would seem to fly in the face of Brian Burke’s comments earlier this month when the general manager said he wasn’t interested in an unproven goalie.
“We’re not looking at that avenue,” Burke said on Sportsnet 590 The Fan. “A couple goalies that moved are young unproven guys. That’s an avenue we’re not interested in. We’ve kicked the tires, looked at all the prices, but that’s not an avenue we’re looking at.”
For that reason, the Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle isn’t buying the report.
“Burke has always said, even during season, if he brought in goalie, it’d be a vet,” Mirtle tweeted Tuesday.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 82
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 91
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 102
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 7
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (117)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (102)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (91)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)