Jul 17, 2012, 2:23 PM EDT
According to Andi Petrillo of Hockey Night in Canada, the Toronto Maple Leafs have made an offer for Kings goalie Jonathan Bernier.
The Columbus Blue Jackets are also reportedly interested in the 11th overall pick from the 2006 draft.
If the Leafs have indeed made an offer, it would seem to fly in the face of Brian Burke’s comments earlier this month when the general manager said he wasn’t interested in an unproven goalie.
“We’re not looking at that avenue,” Burke said on Sportsnet 590 The Fan. “A couple goalies that moved are young unproven guys. That’s an avenue we’re not interested in. We’ve kicked the tires, looked at all the prices, but that’s not an avenue we’re looking at.”
For that reason, the Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle isn’t buying the report.
“Burke has always said, even during season, if he brought in goalie, it’d be a vet,” Mirtle tweeted Tuesday.
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 26
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)