Jul 17, 2012, 2:23 PM EDT
According to Andi Petrillo of Hockey Night in Canada, the Toronto Maple Leafs have made an offer for Kings goalie Jonathan Bernier.
The Columbus Blue Jackets are also reportedly interested in the 11th overall pick from the 2006 draft.
If the Leafs have indeed made an offer, it would seem to fly in the face of Brian Burke’s comments earlier this month when the general manager said he wasn’t interested in an unproven goalie.
“We’re not looking at that avenue,” Burke said on Sportsnet 590 The Fan. “A couple goalies that moved are young unproven guys. That’s an avenue we’re not interested in. We’ve kicked the tires, looked at all the prices, but that’s not an avenue we’re looking at.”
For that reason, the Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle isn’t buying the report.
“Burke has always said, even during season, if he brought in goalie, it’d be a vet,” Mirtle tweeted Tuesday.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)