Jul 17, 2012, 10:42 PM EDT
The New York Rangers’ possible depth issues were highlighted during a double-overtime game against the Washington Capitals in the 2012 playoffs. While the team’s top four of Ryan McDonagh, Marc Staal, Dan Girardi and Michael del Zotto received at least 43:33 of ice time each, Stu Bickel played less than four minutes.
That’s an extreme example, but it spotlights their defense’s biggest question going into next season.
Getting a healthy Michael Sauer back would help quite a bit. He hasn’t played since Dec. 5 and John Tortorella admitted that he might not be ready for training camp, though.
Seeing more progress from Anton Stralman would be another way the Rangers might see some improvement from their bottom pairing. Stralman’s ice time dropped in his first season with the Rangers, but at 25, there’s room to grow.
It might not be time for a prospect to emerge, though. While the team’s offensive prospects (such as Chris Kreider) are generating excitement, Hockey’s Future tabs Tim Erixon and Dylan McIlrath as their most notable blueliners. Those names aren’t quite as promising, although Erixon did play 18 games last season (collecting two assists and a -2 rating).
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)