Jul 17, 2012, 12:33 PM EDT
We’ll be perfectly honest – we had no idea PJ Axelsson was still playing hockey. But apparently the 37-year-old former Boston Bruin forward has spent the last three seasons in the Swedish Elite League.
Now he wants to finish his career in the NHL.
We actually already mentioned this in the Morning Skate, but CSSNE.com’s Joe Haggerty confirmed it via Axelsson’s agent, Neil Abbott.
“PJ would like to finish his career in the NHL and I am trying to achieve that for him,” wrote Abbott in an email. “I should have a better idea of what is possible by the end of July.”
Abbott says he’s speaking to two teams about his client, though he wouldn’t say if the Bruins were one of them.
Axelsson had just 14 points in 52 games last season with Vastra Frolunda HC, so it may be an uphill battle to convince an NHL team he can still play in the world’s top league.
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 0
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 0
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 3
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 24
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 74
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 8
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 22
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Video: Vlasic’s controversial delay of game penalty 22
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronkowski 'probably' needs back surgery, too
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness