Jul 17, 2012, 11:08 AM EDT
More from Custance:
Phoenix is the only franchise Doan has ever played for. He is the captain of a team he helps overachieve every single season despite all the uncertainties in ownership. Outside of hockey, he’s invested in the area with a stake in Ice Barns, a stable that allows people to share ownership of horses, like a timeshare.
Doan’s NetJets-for-horses business aside, the 35-year-old winger has never been shy about saying he wants to stay put. The only reason he’s considered leaving is the Coyotes’ tenuous ownership situation. However, it’s looking more and more like they’ll be staying in Glendale.
Oh, and an NHL GM also tells Custance that Alex Semin hasn’t been signed because the 28-year-old Russian “wants too much money.”
While that may indeed be the biggest factor, it may also be Semin is Plan B after Doan for teams in search of a scoring forward.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 3
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 4
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)