Jul 17, 2012, 11:08 AM EDT
More from Custance:
Phoenix is the only franchise Doan has ever played for. He is the captain of a team he helps overachieve every single season despite all the uncertainties in ownership. Outside of hockey, he’s invested in the area with a stake in Ice Barns, a stable that allows people to share ownership of horses, like a timeshare.
Doan’s NetJets-for-horses business aside, the 35-year-old winger has never been shy about saying he wants to stay put. The only reason he’s considered leaving is the Coyotes’ tenuous ownership situation. However, it’s looking more and more like they’ll be staying in Glendale.
Oh, and an NHL GM also tells Custance that Alex Semin hasn’t been signed because the 28-year-old Russian “wants too much money.”
While that may indeed be the biggest factor, it may also be Semin is Plan B after Doan for teams in search of a scoring forward.
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 2
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 14
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 15
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9