Offseason report: New York Rangers

Jul 17, 2012, 11:55 AM EST

Rangers salute Getty Images

From July 16-Aug 16, we’ll be profiling all 30 NHL teams by recapping what they did this offseason and previewing their upcoming campaigns.

2011-12 season

51-24-7, 109 points. First in the Atlantic Division, first in the Eastern Conference.

Additions

Arron Asham, Taylor Pyatt, Jeff Halpern

Departures

Ruslan Fedotenko, John Mitchell, Brandon Prust, John Scott

2012 Draft

1st round, 28th overall — Brady Skjei (US NTDP)

Looking back

Not much to look back on, really — the summer’s been a quiet time for Rangers news. (Aside from Brad Richards doing this.) As it stands, the roster looks almost identical to the one that made it to the conference finals before losing to the Devils.

The additions of Asham, Pyatt and Halpern are notable only in their lack of significance, especially after GM Glen Sather said following the draft that he was going to be “fairly aggressive in the free-agent market.”

Looking ahead

The big question: Will Sather continue his pursuit for Rick Nash? The Rangers emerged as the front-runners to acquire the Columbus captain prior to the trade deadline, but Sather ultimately refused to meet the demands of Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson.

That the Rangers struggled to produce offense in the playoffs (they only scored more than three goals once in 20 games) led many to believe Sather would be even more motivated to land Nash in the offseason.

However, Sather has said he doesn’t want to “dismantle the core of our organization. We’ve got a lot of good young kids, and we want to let them grow and develop.”

Have your say

Vote in our poll and let us know what you think of the Rangers’ 2012-13 outlook in the comments section.

1. DED - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Under additions, you forgot Jeff Halpern

>>The additions of Asham and Prust are notable only in their lack of significance,<<

I'm sure you meant Pyatt instead of Prust.

I hope Sather sticks to his desire not to “dismantle the core of our organization." I would hate to see long term growth sacrificed for a perceived short term gain. At this point, the Nash situation is a question of which GM is going to blink first (and I'm including the other 5 GM's whose teams are reportedly on the Nash wish list). Nash might not be going anywhere.

• Jason Brough - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Thanks. Corrected.

2. sjsharks66 - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:15 PM

I heard there was a deal Dan Boyle for Marion Gaborik. Not sure if it’s still being talked about.

• polishblue - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:26 PM

I created a username just to tell you your a moron if you believe that

• gaborik104life - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:46 PM

An ESPN ANCHOR (John Buccigross) tweeted the trade almost happend in the past day or two. Considering Torts spent 7 years with him in TB where they won a cup and the lack of right handed defenseman on the Rangers the trade could have occured. I would not have wanted it to and it seems ridiculous to believe but there are connections that can be made. On top of that by subtracting Gaborik and adding Boyle you save roughly a million in cap and the trade for nash seems more feasible. Again not that I want it to with the price being asked but calls could have been mad and this might not have even been this year so who knows in regards to nash just imo thats what would most likely occur.

• gaborik104life - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:47 PM

and when I say the trade almost happend in the past day or two I mean he tweeted that the trade almost happend

3. stakex - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Even if the Rangers start the season with their current roster, one would have to think they will be a better team this season then last. They might not have made any big additions, but thats not an issue really since they have pretty much the same team as last year. The young talent the team has will be a year older, and more experienced. Guys like Hagelin, Stepan, McDonagh, and Del Zotto (if hes still a Rangers) are only going to get better. On top of that, the Rangers will have Kreider in the lineup full time. He proved during the playoffs he has the ability to be a top player in the NHL on the biggest stage. Should be interesting to see what he can do with a full year at the NHL level under his belt.

The only wild card right now is if the Rangers will get Nash, and what will it cost them if they do. Personally I don’t really want to see Nash come to NY if Howson doesn’t drop his price a ton. The Rangers already look good going into next year and the team shouldn’t be ripped apart because some GM has no concept of player value.

• nydaniel - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Took the words right out of my mouth.

I don’t think Nash will be a Ranger, Sather rightly wants to keep his team intact and build with the young talent they already have, and I agree wholeheartedly. Sure, Nash would be a great addition, but not at the costs being bandied about.

At this point I’m looking forward to them standing pat, with possible free agent additions, and developing within. You don’t want to screw up a team that’s as promising as the Rangers are, and I can’t wait to see Kreider playing full time.

• nyr2427 - Jul 18, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I agree for the most part, except I’m not sure if they will be as good at the start of the year, since Gaborik will be out. But once he comes back, I think they will be better.

4. sjsharks66 - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:38 PM

@polish
    I never said I believed it. But that’s what John Buccigross said. It almost happened.

• polishblue - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I think Bucci is a solid guy and all but if he said that then geez, he might as well start blogging for Euklund. Why in the world would the rangers trade their top scorer (something they are lacking in) for an aging defensemen (a position they are superior in)

5. sjsharks66 - Jul 17, 2012 at 12:51 PM

@polish
    Yeah I’m not sure why the rangers would even talk to the sharks about a deal like that. I mean it would work out well for the sharks, but the rangers are getting MAYBE 2 or 3 good years out of Boyle. I really don’t think that deal would go down haha

• DED - Jul 17, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Gaborik also has a no trade clause that he’d have to waive, assuming Sather was stupid enough to make that trade.

6. tfaltin - Jul 17, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Admittedly this is bias…but, I think the Rangers should be even more solid next year, and they should not make a move for Rick Nash to do it. First, I like their free agency period. Halpern, Pyatt, and Asham are a slight upgrade over Fedotenko, Prust and Mitchell in my eyes. Pyatt will be a great winger for a really physical third line, and bottom-six centermen who are good in the faceoff dot will never go out of style. Second, the kids will be a year older. Kreider will be on full time, and we saw flashes of what he’ll be for an entire season. I think people forget how young a lot of the core of the Rangers is. Stepan’s 21 I think, and should build on a good season last year. The defense will be more experienced, and Staal will be full strength all year, so shouldn’t miss a beat (especially if Sauer can shake his concussion). Finally, Brandon Dubinsky. Unless they Rangers make a deal, he’ll be back, and with how hard he plays I’m sure he’ll be really motivated to get back over the 20 goal mark, and I think he will.

7. govtminion - Jul 17, 2012 at 2:21 PM

2012-13 Rangers: As long as they don’t do anything stupid (see: Nash, Rick), and keep things intact, nothing will really change. If the formula is in place, why muck with it? This team made the Eastern Finals, so making big changes seems like a step backwards.

My prediction: Finishing a very narrow first in the division and in the East after a very close race to the end. The Rangers are simply one of the top teams in the East right now (and as a B’s fan, I hate admitting that), and until I see proof that the Flyers, Penguins, etc. have improved past what they were last year, I don’t see them being better than New York.

…and now I need a shower. :D

8. mmazzzzzz - Jul 17, 2012 at 7:36 PM

I am obviously in the minority….I would love to see Nash in Rangers blue. I see nothing wrong with trading the overrated MDZ or even Stepan. I don’t think many fans realize how good Nash is.

9. firemarshal1 - Jul 17, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Mr. Sather, please keep the team together. We don’t need Nash. Bobby Ryan will be a free agent next year.

10. mmazzzzzz - Jul 18, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Bobby Ryan is not a FA next year.

• DED - Jul 18, 2012 at 11:35 AM

mmazzzzzz is right. Ryan is locked into a contract through the 2014-15 season.

Coaches in and out of the hot seat

Top 10 NHL Player Searches