Jul 17, 2012, 11:55 AM EDT
From July 16-Aug 16, we’ll be profiling all 30 NHL teams by recapping what they did this offseason and previewing their upcoming campaigns.
51-24-7, 109 points. First in the Atlantic Division, first in the Eastern Conference.
1st round, 28th overall — Brady Skjei (US NTDP)
Not much to look back on, really — the summer’s been a quiet time for Rangers news. (Aside from Brad Richards doing this.) As it stands, the roster looks almost identical to the one that made it to the conference finals before losing to the Devils.
The additions of Asham, Pyatt and Halpern are notable only in their lack of significance, especially after GM Glen Sather said following the draft that he was going to be “fairly aggressive in the free-agent market.”
The big question: Will Sather continue his pursuit for Rick Nash? The Rangers emerged as the front-runners to acquire the Columbus captain prior to the trade deadline, but Sather ultimately refused to meet the demands of Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson.
That the Rangers struggled to produce offense in the playoffs (they only scored more than three goals once in 20 games) led many to believe Sather would be even more motivated to land Nash in the offseason.
However, Sather has said he doesn’t want to “dismantle the core of our organization. We’ve got a lot of good young kids, and we want to let them grow and develop.”
Have your say
Vote in our poll and let us know what you think of the Rangers’ 2012-13 outlook in the comments section.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)