Jul 17, 2012, 11:55 AM EDT
From July 16-Aug 16, we’ll be profiling all 30 NHL teams by recapping what they did this offseason and previewing their upcoming campaigns.
51-24-7, 109 points. First in the Atlantic Division, first in the Eastern Conference.
1st round, 28th overall — Brady Skjei (US NTDP)
Not much to look back on, really — the summer’s been a quiet time for Rangers news. (Aside from Brad Richards doing this.) As it stands, the roster looks almost identical to the one that made it to the conference finals before losing to the Devils.
The additions of Asham, Pyatt and Halpern are notable only in their lack of significance, especially after GM Glen Sather said following the draft that he was going to be “fairly aggressive in the free-agent market.”
The big question: Will Sather continue his pursuit for Rick Nash? The Rangers emerged as the front-runners to acquire the Columbus captain prior to the trade deadline, but Sather ultimately refused to meet the demands of Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson.
That the Rangers struggled to produce offense in the playoffs (they only scored more than three goals once in 20 games) led many to believe Sather would be even more motivated to land Nash in the offseason.
However, Sather has said he doesn’t want to “dismantle the core of our organization. We’ve got a lot of good young kids, and we want to let them grow and develop.”
Have your say
Vote in our poll and let us know what you think of the Rangers’ 2012-13 outlook in the comments section.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (37)