Jul 17, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Welcome to the start of our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From now until Aug. 14 we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, we continue with one of the “Original Six” franchises, the New York Rangers.
The New York Rangers enjoyed their best season since Mark Messier raised the Stanley Cup in 1994. They won the Atlantic Division and took the East’s top spot with a 109-point season (51-24-7), but fell short to local rival the New Jersey Devils in a six-game Eastern Conference finals series.
Unless the Rangers land a big trade before the season – they’re often linked to Rick Nash in trade rumors – the team will look largely similar to last year’s successful squad. The most noteworthy changes came as they replaced Brandon Prust, Ruslan Fedotenko and John Scott with Taylor Pyatt, Arron Asham and Jeff Halpern.
So, what does the future have in store for the Rangers? Stick around PHT today to find out.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)