Jul 17, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Welcome to the start of our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From now until Aug. 14 we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, we continue with one of the “Original Six” franchises, the New York Rangers.
The New York Rangers enjoyed their best season since Mark Messier raised the Stanley Cup in 1994. They won the Atlantic Division and took the East’s top spot with a 109-point season (51-24-7), but fell short to local rival the New Jersey Devils in a six-game Eastern Conference finals series.
Unless the Rangers land a big trade before the season – they’re often linked to Rick Nash in trade rumors – the team will look largely similar to last year’s successful squad. The most noteworthy changes came as they replaced Brandon Prust, Ruslan Fedotenko and John Scott with Taylor Pyatt, Arron Asham and Jeff Halpern.
So, what does the future have in store for the Rangers? Stick around PHT today to find out.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 60
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 35
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 31
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 19
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)