Jul 17, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
Welcome to the start of our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From now until Aug. 14 we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, we continue with one of the “Original Six” franchises, the New York Rangers.
The New York Rangers enjoyed their best season since Mark Messier raised the Stanley Cup in 1994. They won the Atlantic Division and took the East’s top spot with a 109-point season (51-24-7), but fell short to local rival the New Jersey Devils in a six-game Eastern Conference finals series.
Unless the Rangers land a big trade before the season – they’re often linked to Rick Nash in trade rumors – the team will look largely similar to last year’s successful squad. The most noteworthy changes came as they replaced Brandon Prust, Ruslan Fedotenko and John Scott with Taylor Pyatt, Arron Asham and Jeff Halpern.
So, what does the future have in store for the Rangers? Stick around PHT today to find out.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 17
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 43
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)