Jul 17, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Welcome to the start of our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From now until Aug. 14 we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, we continue with one of the “Original Six” franchises, the New York Rangers.
The New York Rangers enjoyed their best season since Mark Messier raised the Stanley Cup in 1994. They won the Atlantic Division and took the East’s top spot with a 109-point season (51-24-7), but fell short to local rival the New Jersey Devils in a six-game Eastern Conference finals series.
Unless the Rangers land a big trade before the season – they’re often linked to Rick Nash in trade rumors – the team will look largely similar to last year’s successful squad. The most noteworthy changes came as they replaced Brandon Prust, Ruslan Fedotenko and John Scott with Taylor Pyatt, Arron Asham and Jeff Halpern.
So, what does the future have in store for the Rangers? Stick around PHT today to find out.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)