Jul 17, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Welcome to the start of our offseason initiative — 30 teams in 30 days.
From now until Aug. 14 we’ll be dedicating each day to a new team by recapping the offseason and looking ahead to 2012-13.
There will also be a series of posts looking at key stories, player profiles and burning questions regarding each squad.
Today, we continue with one of the “Original Six” franchises, the New York Rangers.
The New York Rangers enjoyed their best season since Mark Messier raised the Stanley Cup in 1994. They won the Atlantic Division and took the East’s top spot with a 109-point season (51-24-7), but fell short to local rival the New Jersey Devils in a six-game Eastern Conference finals series.
Unless the Rangers land a big trade before the season – they’re often linked to Rick Nash in trade rumors – the team will look largely similar to last year’s successful squad. The most noteworthy changes came as they replaced Brandon Prust, Ruslan Fedotenko and John Scott with Taylor Pyatt, Arron Asham and Jeff Halpern.
So, what does the future have in store for the Rangers? Stick around PHT today to find out.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)