Jul 17, 2012, 7:29 PM EDT
Late last week, word circulated that the project to build a new arena for the Edmonton Oilers is over budget by $35 million. (The original estimate was $450 million, but they reportedly were on track to spend $485 million.) The Edmonton City Council met to find ways to bring costs back down to $450 million while they voted 10-3 in favor of “allowing administration to proceed” with the development based on that original estimate.
Here’s the exact Tweet from the Oilers.
Edmonton Mayor Stephen Mandel voted in favor and provided these thoughts on the situation, via The Canadian Press.
“Again, I think citizens have clearly stated don’t diminish the beauty of the arena to save a couple of dollars, not going crazy with it, but we have to find a balance,” Mandel said.
Currently, discussions include removing food and beverage areas, stores and other smaller tweaks.
Council member Linda Sloan expressed fears that planners would “push this [deal] through” without a complete explanation.
“There’s going to be an attempt made to try to push this through to get council’s approval, to move it to the next step, even though we don’t have a complete funding model for the arena,” Sloan said.
Here’s video of Mandel’s speech.
Jun 19, 2013, 12:05 AM EDT
It’s the first NHL game on NBCSN to surpass 4 million viewers.
Jun 18, 2013, 10:50 PM EDT
They beat the Syracuse Crunch in six games.
Jun 18, 2013, 10:23 PM EDT
“It’s going to be a strong, solid franchise just like Winnipeg is now.”
Jun 18, 2013, 9:27 PM EDT
Things are getting dramatic in Philadelphia.
Jun 18, 2013, 8:38 PM EDT
His annual cap hit is a hefty $7,727,273.
Jun 18, 2013, 7:40 PM EDT
Coburn might be heading the other way.
Jun 18, 2013, 7:10 PM EDT
He also loves 2013 NHL Draft prospect Darnell Nurse.
Jun 18, 2013, 6:15 PM EDT
The coach already had him picked as Plan B if Marian Hossa couldn’t play.
Jun 18, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Blackhawks coach knows his team has to improve in those areas.
Jun 18, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Stemming from his arrest in 2011.
Jun 18, 2013, 4:47 PM EDT
“I’ve got a nice little scratch mark on my forehead from the claw marks.”
Jun 18, 2013, 4:42 PM EDT
23-year-old defenseman had six goals in the playoffs.
Jun 18, 2013, 4:13 PM EDT
26-year-old made his NHL debut last season.
Jun 18, 2013, 3:26 PM EDT
But will they stay?
Jun 18, 2013, 3:18 PM EDT
Could an NHL team one day call it home?
Jun 18, 2013, 3:07 PM EDT
As per TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
Jun 18, 2013, 2:49 PM EDT
He’s still “day-to-day” with his injury.
Jun 18, 2013, 2:18 PM EDT
He’s been given permission to seek employment elsewhere.
Jun 18, 2013, 2:16 PM EDT
“We don’t care about calling certain guys superstars on our team,” said the coach.
Jun 18, 2013, 1:38 PM EDT
Hey, he did take two weeks off.
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 22
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 46
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 78
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 9
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires