Jul 16, 2012, 8:55 PM EDT
Cory Schneider isn’t exactly a veteran of CBA negotiations – he was in college during the lockout – but he’s involved with the NHLPA side nonetheless. There’s been some disturbing talk resulting from the owners’ rather brash offer, yet Schneider told Elliott Pap that it’s not time to panic.
“I think the only thing I can say is it’s a first offer,” Schneider said. “It’s a starting point. We’re going to consider it and figure out what our counter proposal is going to be. Yes, it is a little shocking when you first look at it but, again, that’s how negotiations work. You aim high and then try to move back from there.”
“There is going to have to be a lot of give and take for us to come to an agreement, so we’re not too worried and we’re not panicking right now. We’re just going to take it one meeting at a time.”
Ah, Schneider really knows how to soothe our nerves … he’s even adapting the “one game at a time” cliche for the CBA talks. It’s worthwhile to note that there were plenty of people talking Chicken Littles off the ledge when the information from the early meetings was leaked, yet it’s nice to hear such calming conversation from someone actually involved.
Of course, not everyone on the players’ side was quite as mild-mannered.
Denver-based agent Kurt Overhardt called the opening offer “embarrassing” and said “everything they proposed defies sports labor law history” before admitting that he expects “cooler heads to prevail.”*
Who knows how many more peeks we’ll get behind the curtain of this process. Twitter and other newer forms of media weren’t around during the last negotiations. That might not sound like much, yet some believe that recent strenuous talks for the NBA and NFL were intensified by the heat of public opinion, which was right there for executives to read like never before.
Such an unnerving process will make the occasional “relax” message that much more appealing.
* – Heavily-used cliche count: at least two.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 7
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 58
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)