Jul 16, 2012, 10:44 AM EDT
Some minor signings to pass your way…
Montreal re-ups with Geoffrion
Geoffrion, 24, is the great-grandson of Hockey Hall of Famer Howie Morenz and his paternal grandfather is also a Hall of Famer — Bernie “Boom-Boom” Geoffrion, the former Canadien known for inventing the slapshot.
A former standout at the University of Wisconsin, Geoffrion broke onto the scene in his rookie year in Nashville, scoring 6G-2A-8PTS in 20 games during the 2010-11 season. He regressed during his sophomore campaign, however, and was packaged as part of the deal that saw Hal Gill go from Montreal to the Predators at the trade deadline.
Last season, Geoffrion played a career-high 35 games at the NHL level — 22 with Nashville, 13 with Montreal — scoring 2G-3A-5PTS and averaging over 11 minutes per night.
Pittsburgh gets Strait
According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Penguins have agreed to terms with RFA defenseman Brian Strait on a one-year, two-way contract worth $605,000 at the NHL level.
Strait, 24, has only seen action in 12 NHL games over the last two years, spending most of his time with AHL Wilkes-Barre. That said, he could be in the mix for a regular gig with Pittsburgh this season — following the trade of Zbynek Michalek to Phoenix, the Penguins essentially have an open competition for the bottom pairing on its blueline between the likes of Strait, Deryk Engelland, Ben Lovejoy, Philip Samuelsson and Simon Despres.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)