Jul 16, 2012, 10:44 AM EDT
Some minor signings to pass your way…
Montreal re-ups with Geoffrion
Geoffrion, 24, is the great-grandson of Hockey Hall of Famer Howie Morenz and his paternal grandfather is also a Hall of Famer — Bernie “Boom-Boom” Geoffrion, the former Canadien known for inventing the slapshot.
A former standout at the University of Wisconsin, Geoffrion broke onto the scene in his rookie year in Nashville, scoring 6G-2A-8PTS in 20 games during the 2010-11 season. He regressed during his sophomore campaign, however, and was packaged as part of the deal that saw Hal Gill go from Montreal to the Predators at the trade deadline.
Last season, Geoffrion played a career-high 35 games at the NHL level — 22 with Nashville, 13 with Montreal — scoring 2G-3A-5PTS and averaging over 11 minutes per night.
Pittsburgh gets Strait
According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Penguins have agreed to terms with RFA defenseman Brian Strait on a one-year, two-way contract worth $605,000 at the NHL level.
Strait, 24, has only seen action in 12 NHL games over the last two years, spending most of his time with AHL Wilkes-Barre. That said, he could be in the mix for a regular gig with Pittsburgh this season — following the trade of Zbynek Michalek to Phoenix, the Penguins essentially have an open competition for the bottom pairing on its blueline between the likes of Strait, Deryk Engelland, Ben Lovejoy, Philip Samuelsson and Simon Despres.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 0
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 7
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 25
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 63
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control