Jul 16, 2012, 10:44 AM EDT
Some minor signings to pass your way…
Montreal re-ups with Geoffrion
Geoffrion, 24, is the great-grandson of Hockey Hall of Famer Howie Morenz and his paternal grandfather is also a Hall of Famer — Bernie “Boom-Boom” Geoffrion, the former Canadien known for inventing the slapshot.
A former standout at the University of Wisconsin, Geoffrion broke onto the scene in his rookie year in Nashville, scoring 6G-2A-8PTS in 20 games during the 2010-11 season. He regressed during his sophomore campaign, however, and was packaged as part of the deal that saw Hal Gill go from Montreal to the Predators at the trade deadline.
Last season, Geoffrion played a career-high 35 games at the NHL level — 22 with Nashville, 13 with Montreal — scoring 2G-3A-5PTS and averaging over 11 minutes per night.
Pittsburgh gets Strait
According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Penguins have agreed to terms with RFA defenseman Brian Strait on a one-year, two-way contract worth $605,000 at the NHL level.
Strait, 24, has only seen action in 12 NHL games over the last two years, spending most of his time with AHL Wilkes-Barre. That said, he could be in the mix for a regular gig with Pittsburgh this season — following the trade of Zbynek Michalek to Phoenix, the Penguins essentially have an open competition for the bottom pairing on its blueline between the likes of Strait, Deryk Engelland, Ben Lovejoy, Philip Samuelsson and Simon Despres.
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 16
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)