Jul 16, 2012, 10:44 AM EDT
Some minor signings to pass your way…
Montreal re-ups with Geoffrion
Geoffrion, 24, is the great-grandson of Hockey Hall of Famer Howie Morenz and his paternal grandfather is also a Hall of Famer — Bernie “Boom-Boom” Geoffrion, the former Canadien known for inventing the slapshot.
A former standout at the University of Wisconsin, Geoffrion broke onto the scene in his rookie year in Nashville, scoring 6G-2A-8PTS in 20 games during the 2010-11 season. He regressed during his sophomore campaign, however, and was packaged as part of the deal that saw Hal Gill go from Montreal to the Predators at the trade deadline.
Last season, Geoffrion played a career-high 35 games at the NHL level — 22 with Nashville, 13 with Montreal — scoring 2G-3A-5PTS and averaging over 11 minutes per night.
Pittsburgh gets Strait
According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Penguins have agreed to terms with RFA defenseman Brian Strait on a one-year, two-way contract worth $605,000 at the NHL level.
Strait, 24, has only seen action in 12 NHL games over the last two years, spending most of his time with AHL Wilkes-Barre. That said, he could be in the mix for a regular gig with Pittsburgh this season — following the trade of Zbynek Michalek to Phoenix, the Penguins essentially have an open competition for the bottom pairing on its blueline between the likes of Strait, Deryk Engelland, Ben Lovejoy, Philip Samuelsson and Simon Despres.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 6
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 32
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)