Jul 16, 2012, 1:12 PM EDT
Anderson didn’t obtain either the terms or dollar amount being offered, but did say the longtime Phoenix Coyote has a “mutual interest” in Pittsburgh.
It’s not entirely surprising that Pittsburgh wants Doan. The Pens have been actively searching for a winger to play with Sidney Crosby and, after losing out on the Zach Parise sweepstakes, have discussed with a number of the “Plan B” free agents — including Washington’s Alex Semin.
The wildcard in Doan talks? What kind of money GM Ray Shero put on the table. The Penguins have just under $10 million in available cap space and have no glaring roster holes to fill, meaning they could make a pretty lucrative pitch to the 35-year-old.
That’s key, because a report out of Arizona last week said a mystery team from the Eastern Conference offered Doan a four-year, $30 million-plus deal.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 2
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 12
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 53
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 19
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 16
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)