Jul 16, 2012, 1:12 PM EDT
Anderson didn’t obtain either the terms or dollar amount being offered, but did say the longtime Phoenix Coyote has a “mutual interest” in Pittsburgh.
It’s not entirely surprising that Pittsburgh wants Doan. The Pens have been actively searching for a winger to play with Sidney Crosby and, after losing out on the Zach Parise sweepstakes, have discussed with a number of the “Plan B” free agents — including Washington’s Alex Semin.
The wildcard in Doan talks? What kind of money GM Ray Shero put on the table. The Penguins have just under $10 million in available cap space and have no glaring roster holes to fill, meaning they could make a pretty lucrative pitch to the 35-year-old.
That’s key, because a report out of Arizona last week said a mystery team from the Eastern Conference offered Doan a four-year, $30 million-plus deal.
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 0
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 27
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)