Jul 16, 2012, 1:12 PM EST
Anderson didn’t obtain either the terms or dollar amount being offered, but did say the longtime Phoenix Coyote has a “mutual interest” in Pittsburgh.
It’s not entirely surprising that Pittsburgh wants Doan. The Pens have been actively searching for a winger to play with Sidney Crosby and, after losing out on the Zach Parise sweepstakes, have discussed with a number of the “Plan B” free agents — including Washington’s Alex Semin.
The wildcard in Doan talks? What kind of money GM Ray Shero put on the table. The Penguins have just under $10 million in available cap space and have no glaring roster holes to fill, meaning they could make a pretty lucrative pitch to the 35-year-old.
That’s key, because a report out of Arizona last week said a mystery team from the Eastern Conference offered Doan a four-year, $30 million-plus deal.
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 9
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 19
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 29
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (151)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)