Jul 16, 2012, 7:13 PM EDT
Normal, cubicle-dwelling people often hate to see their heroes/favorite players fade on the ice. For that reason, guys who hang on too long often seem depressing, but what about the guys who don’t want to give it up? Mike Modano probably has a swell existence, yet it’s clear that the concept of a return brings a twinkle to his eye. He admitted at least a passing interest in playing for the Minnesota Wild and acknowledged those feelings to Dallas beat writer Mike Heika.
Even though he admits that the idea is a bit far-fetched.
“You look at things and you wonder what’s the worst thing that could happen?,” Modano said. “I mean, I get in better shape. I don’t know what’s going to happen with the CBA and everything, but I mean, one more year? That kind of intrigues me.”
“I think I’m in la la land or dreamland just thinking about it. You never know how that would work out, but I can’t really see it happening. I think in the back of my mind, I would love to see something work out where I could go back for a year, but I don’t know … I don’t see it … It’s been hard to let go.”
The most logical side would point to his last, injury-plagued season with the Detroit Red Wings (15 points in 40 games, healthy scratches in the playoffs) as evidence enough that he has little left. Still, it’s worth noting that he almost had a point-per-game in the first post-lockout season (77 points in 78 games), so perhaps a prolonged break might allow him to give it one more decent year. Sure, that was seven years ago, but he’s not asking for top-line minutes this time around.
A marketing ploy?
Modano mentioned the Minnesota Wild, but the Dallas Stars would provide a fun opportunity. The Stanley Cup-era teams had the “Grumpy Old Men” line, so what about a 40+ line of Modano, Jaromir Jagr and Ray Whitney? Yes, the “Well-adjusted, Relatively-Ancient Gentlemen” doesn’t have the same ring to it, but bringing back Modano (and adding Jagr) could be a solid box office hit.
Much like Modano’s own dreams of a return, it’s fun to think about, if nothing else.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 7
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 11
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 9
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 17
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (51)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)