Jul 16, 2012, 10:20 PM EST
Even if a lockout never happens, the threat of such an event has canceled some great fan events already. The annual tradition of starting the season overseas (aka the NHL Premiere games) was shelved for at least this year. The latest similarly curbed event appears to be the Capitals Convention, which CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley notes was canceled due to “labor unrest.”
Here’s the official statement via Capitals owner Ted Leonsis and the Capitals.
The Capitals Convention has been a tremendous success in its first three years, attracting sold-out crowds of more than 6,500 fans to the day-long interactive celebration of the Washington Capitals. This annually features the entire Capitals roster and prominent alumni from around the world.
In the past, the Caps Convention has been held in late September or early October. Due to the uncertainty surrounding the collective bargaining agreement, the Capitals have decided not to hold a convention in 2012, but the event will return in the fall of 2013.
At least it’ll be back for Caps fans next year.
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 62
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 7
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 133
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (133)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (112)