Jul 16, 2012, 3:59 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings have re-signed a key part of their Stanley Cup run.
Dwight King — the big-bodied winger from Saskatchewan — has agreed to a two-year deal that will keep him in Los Angeles until 2014. Financial terms of the contract were not released; King’s last deal paid $591,667 annually.
The 6-foot-3, 234-pound forward was a key contributor for L.A. after being called up from AHL Manchester in February, scoring 5G-9A-14PTS in 27 regular season games, helping the Kings finish eighth in the Western Conference.
From there, he posted another 5G-3A-8PTS in 20 playoff games, including a pair of game-winning goals against the Phoenix Coyotes in the Western Conference final.
Stoll liked centering King and the chemistry his line produced.
“[King is] a big strong body that can control the puck and obviously shoot the puck. Come playoff time, that type of player is huge,” Stoll told the LA Times back in May. “He’s strong on the puck, he can get in on the forecheck, be physical, and control the puck down there.
“Him and Lewie are great down there controlling the puck. You’ve seen it lots here down the stretch, late in third periods, they’re controlling the corners side to side and you see what he can do when he shoots the puck.
“He’s a very special player for us right now.”
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 0
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 9
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 18
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 50
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)