Jul 16, 2012, 3:59 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings have re-signed a key part of their Stanley Cup run.
Dwight King — the big-bodied winger from Saskatchewan — has agreed to a two-year deal that will keep him in Los Angeles until 2014. Financial terms of the contract were not released; King’s last deal paid $591,667 annually.
The 6-foot-3, 234-pound forward was a key contributor for L.A. after being called up from AHL Manchester in February, scoring 5G-9A-14PTS in 27 regular season games, helping the Kings finish eighth in the Western Conference.
From there, he posted another 5G-3A-8PTS in 20 playoff games, including a pair of game-winning goals against the Phoenix Coyotes in the Western Conference final.
Stoll liked centering King and the chemistry his line produced.
“[King is] a big strong body that can control the puck and obviously shoot the puck. Come playoff time, that type of player is huge,” Stoll told the LA Times back in May. “He’s strong on the puck, he can get in on the forecheck, be physical, and control the puck down there.
“Him and Lewie are great down there controlling the puck. You’ve seen it lots here down the stretch, late in third periods, they’re controlling the corners side to side and you see what he can do when he shoots the puck.
“He’s a very special player for us right now.”
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 3
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 6
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 24
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)