Jul 16, 2012, 3:59 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings have re-signed a key part of their Stanley Cup run.
Dwight King — the big-bodied winger from Saskatchewan — has agreed to a two-year deal that will keep him in Los Angeles until 2014. Financial terms of the contract were not released; King’s last deal paid $591,667 annually.
The 6-foot-3, 234-pound forward was a key contributor for L.A. after being called up from AHL Manchester in February, scoring 5G-9A-14PTS in 27 regular season games, helping the Kings finish eighth in the Western Conference.
From there, he posted another 5G-3A-8PTS in 20 playoff games, including a pair of game-winning goals against the Phoenix Coyotes in the Western Conference final.
Stoll liked centering King and the chemistry his line produced.
“[King is] a big strong body that can control the puck and obviously shoot the puck. Come playoff time, that type of player is huge,” Stoll told the LA Times back in May. “He’s strong on the puck, he can get in on the forecheck, be physical, and control the puck down there.
“Him and Lewie are great down there controlling the puck. You’ve seen it lots here down the stretch, late in third periods, they’re controlling the corners side to side and you see what he can do when he shoots the puck.
“He’s a very special player for us right now.”
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 38
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 53
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 42
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 75
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 34
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 46
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 59
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)