Jul 16, 2012, 3:59 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings have re-signed a key part of their Stanley Cup run.
Dwight King — the big-bodied winger from Saskatchewan — has agreed to a two-year deal that will keep him in Los Angeles until 2014. Financial terms of the contract were not released; King’s last deal paid $591,667 annually.
The 6-foot-3, 234-pound forward was a key contributor for L.A. after being called up from AHL Manchester in February, scoring 5G-9A-14PTS in 27 regular season games, helping the Kings finish eighth in the Western Conference.
From there, he posted another 5G-3A-8PTS in 20 playoff games, including a pair of game-winning goals against the Phoenix Coyotes in the Western Conference final.
Stoll liked centering King and the chemistry his line produced.
“[King is] a big strong body that can control the puck and obviously shoot the puck. Come playoff time, that type of player is huge,” Stoll told the LA Times back in May. “He’s strong on the puck, he can get in on the forecheck, be physical, and control the puck down there.
“Him and Lewie are great down there controlling the puck. You’ve seen it lots here down the stretch, late in third periods, they’re controlling the corners side to side and you see what he can do when he shoots the puck.
“He’s a very special player for us right now.”
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)