Jul 16, 2012, 3:29 PM EDT
Matias Strozyk of Jatkoaika — a Finnish hockey news site — reports Pavelec has been sentenced to six months of conditional probation and banned from driving for 20 months after a DUI arrest in May.
“Pavelec crashed his BMW M6 into a car that had stopped on a one-way street on the morning of May 26th,” Strozyk tweeted. “BAL [blood alcohol level] of 0.20. About 5k [$5,000] of USD damage.”
According to Mitch Rosset of Global News Winnipeg, the Jets are not commenting on the report.
The Winnipeg Sun has picked up the story and is “investigating the claims.” It should be noted that reports out of the Czech Republic have not been confirmed.
Pavelec, 24, recently signed a five-year, $19.5 million extension with the Jets.
Update: From Puck Daddy’s Sean Leahy, here is Winnipeg GM Kevin Cheveldayhoff’s statement regarding Pavelec.
“At this time True North Sports & Entertainment and the Winnipeg Jets Hockey Club are aware of various, yet still inconsistent, internet reports pertaining to Ondrej Pavelec. We, as an organization, are attempting to gather more information and until such time as we are comfortable and have a full understanding of the situation, we will not be issuing any further comment.”
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 16
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39