Jul 16, 2012, 3:29 PM EST
Matias Strozyk of Jatkoaika — a Finnish hockey news site — reports Pavelec has been sentenced to six months of conditional probation and banned from driving for 20 months after a DUI arrest in May.
“Pavelec crashed his BMW M6 into a car that had stopped on a one-way street on the morning of May 26th,” Strozyk tweeted. “BAL [blood alcohol level] of 0.20. About 5k [$5,000] of USD damage.”
According to Mitch Rosset of Global News Winnipeg, the Jets are not commenting on the report.
The Winnipeg Sun has picked up the story and is “investigating the claims.” It should be noted that reports out of the Czech Republic have not been confirmed.
Pavelec, 24, recently signed a five-year, $19.5 million extension with the Jets.
Update: From Puck Daddy’s Sean Leahy, here is Winnipeg GM Kevin Cheveldayhoff’s statement regarding Pavelec.
“At this time True North Sports & Entertainment and the Winnipeg Jets Hockey Club are aware of various, yet still inconsistent, internet reports pertaining to Ondrej Pavelec. We, as an organization, are attempting to gather more information and until such time as we are comfortable and have a full understanding of the situation, we will not be issuing any further comment.”
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 22
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 60
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5