Jul 16, 2012, 3:29 PM EDT
Matias Strozyk of Jatkoaika — a Finnish hockey news site — reports Pavelec has been sentenced to six months of conditional probation and banned from driving for 20 months after a DUI arrest in May.
“Pavelec crashed his BMW M6 into a car that had stopped on a one-way street on the morning of May 26th,” Strozyk tweeted. “BAL [blood alcohol level] of 0.20. About 5k [$5,000] of USD damage.”
According to Mitch Rosset of Global News Winnipeg, the Jets are not commenting on the report.
The Winnipeg Sun has picked up the story and is “investigating the claims.” It should be noted that reports out of the Czech Republic have not been confirmed.
Pavelec, 24, recently signed a five-year, $19.5 million extension with the Jets.
Update: From Puck Daddy’s Sean Leahy, here is Winnipeg GM Kevin Cheveldayhoff’s statement regarding Pavelec.
“At this time True North Sports & Entertainment and the Winnipeg Jets Hockey Club are aware of various, yet still inconsistent, internet reports pertaining to Ondrej Pavelec. We, as an organization, are attempting to gather more information and until such time as we are comfortable and have a full understanding of the situation, we will not be issuing any further comment.”
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)