Jul 14, 2012, 7:32 PM EDT
Almost of all the big-name unrestricted free agents have been scooped up, but the bargain hunting season is just getting underway. Things kicked off with the Florida Panthers inking Peter Mueller to a one-year, $1.725 million deal while Wojtek Wolski signed a one-year, $600,000 deal with the Washington Capitals.
Players like that come with less than ideal pasts, but that’s what makes them so cheap in the first place. They might turn out to be the steals of the free agent period or wasted money — but it’s hard to call bargain bin signings true gambles given that the teams are only making short-term commitments at relatively low prices.
Here’s a list of some of the remaining unrestricted free agents that will likely be scooped up for similar contracts:
Kostitsyn actually did have some on-ice success in Nashville, but that was drowned out by the curfew controversy.
Still, he has the potential to be a top-six forward next season.
Petr Sykora — Sykora was a pleasant surprise last season, earning a contract with the Devils out of training camp and scoring 21 goals and 44 points in 82 games.
He’ll turn 36 years old on Nov. 19, but he’s still a decent secondary scorer and capable of helping out with the man advantage. Plus, he’s played in 133 postseason contests and has been on two Stanley Cup winning teams, so he’s got the experience to help guide a younger team.
Carlo Colaiacovo — He’s only reached the 70-game milestone once and that was back in 2008-09. Colaiacovo can’t seem to get through a season without suffering a noteworthy injury and on top of that, he struggled last season with just 19 points in 64 contests.
Still, when he’s healthy he’s a top-four caliber defenseman and there are a lot of teams hungry for one of those. He’s still just 29 years old, so he’s got a lot of hockey left in him and it’s not hard to imagine him bouncing back. Maybe he’s holding out for a long-term contract, but if he can be had for a bargain bin price, then it would be hard to fault any team for grabbing him.
May 22, 2013, 12:21 AM EDT
Lots happening in this one. More highlights coming, by the way.
May 21, 2013, 11:26 PM EDT
Been dealing with plenty of traffic in front of him all throughout playoffs.
May 21, 2013, 11:14 PM EDT
Does the league take a look at this?
May 21, 2013, 11:07 PM EDT
Where did this scoring come from?
May 21, 2013, 10:19 PM EDT
The comments are now open.
May 21, 2013, 10:07 PM EDT
Both make their series debuts tonight.
May 21, 2013, 9:13 PM EDT
That’s a long way up to do that.
May 21, 2013, 7:37 PM EDT
This might be getting old to him by now.
May 21, 2013, 6:49 PM EDT
He was banged up roughly in Game 3.
May 21, 2013, 6:08 PM EDT
A 13-percent rise from last year.
May 21, 2013, 5:22 PM EDT
Off to a surprising 2-1 series lead over Chicago.
May 21, 2013, 4:51 PM EDT
He’ll replace Peter Horachek, who was fired yesterday.
May 21, 2013, 4:49 PM EDT
(His brother is Patrick Roy.)
May 21, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
May 21, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
Meanwhile, Logan Couture says he’s “all good.”
May 21, 2013, 4:01 PM EDT
Jarmo, talking tough.
May 21, 2013, 3:43 PM EDT
Montreal’s 27-year-old defenseman was hurt in April while trying to hit Milan Lucic.
May 21, 2013, 3:02 PM EDT
San Jose hasn’t lost at HP Pavilion this postseason.
May 21, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
Edmonton’s new rink is set to open in 2016.
May 21, 2013, 2:20 PM EDT
The panel gets another goalie.
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 43
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 21
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury