Jul 14, 2012, 8:30 AM EDT
However it happened, the world found out about the NHL owners’ rather brash first CBA proposal. One can debate how serious it really is – negotiations often open with offers so bold they border on humor fiction – but Twitter reactions were worth the lockout worries and everything that came with it. Here’s a survey of some of the most interesting stuff.
Michael Russo captured many of our thoughts about how the “cordial” descriptions of the meetings might be a bit of a smokescreen – or at least a thing of the past – now that this information is out there.
Seth Rorabaugh of Empty Netters laughed off the owners’ goal to drop the players’ revenue split from 57 to 46 percent.
Leave it to Stephen Whyno – a guy with a cute dog as his avatar – to drop a Scooby Doo in his reaction.
Speaking of animals, Chris Kuc is a sad panda.
There’s pandas and then there’s Santa, whose mystical arrival might just come when hockey season might start, if you ask Dave Stubbs.
Bruce Arthur’s doom and gloom bothers me more than other peoples’ doom and gloom, for some reason.
Jeff Marek isn’t getting too worked up, though.
Adam Proteau got a little superstitious, with the news breaking on July 13 and all.
You probably won’t hear much from players since Donald Fehr likely told them to keep quiet, but perhaps we’ll hear from minor league/NHL “tweeners” such as Mike McKenna. We’ll leave you with his interesting perspective.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (96)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)