Jul 14, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT
Earlier this morning, we passed along a story in which Columbus Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson denied having an interest in Los Angeles Kings backup Jonathan Bernier. That might not be the truth, however, as Aaron Portzline “confirms” that Columbus is indeed in talks to acquire Bernier.
Portzline tries to determine what a Bernier trade might cost the Blue Jackets.
What would the Blue Jackets have to give up?
Well, they could simply return the Kings’ first-round pick acquired last February in the Jeff Carter for Jack Johnson deal. The Blue Jackets passed on using it this season, so they have the Kings’ 2013 first-rounder. Perhaps Steve Mason, in the final year of a contract but three years into a slump in Columbus, would be part of the deal, too.
The Kings drafted Bernier 11th overall in 2006, so if they follow up that Stanley Cup run with a strong season, it’s possible they’d get a lower first-rounder in 2013 for Bernier. (Mason isn’t much of a bargaining chip right now, obviously.)
If the Blue Jackets indeed acquired Bernier, they’d have two inexperienced netminders in Bernier and Sergei Bobrovsky. It would be interesting to see which goalie would nab the No. 1 job in that situation, but there’s still a long way to go first.
The Kings would also need to see it as a worthy deal, for one thing.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)