Jul 14, 2012, 10:37 AM EDT
There are a lot of great opportunities that come with being a superstar like Alex Ovechkin. Making a charitable impact – particularly on children – might not be the first thing that comes to mind, but plenty of athletes do just that. ESPN’s Sportscenter has been running a “My Wish” segment which follows sports stars working with the “Make a Wish” foundation for seven years now and Ovechkin will be featured in one this week.
Ovechkin spent two days with 16-year-old Sam Jacobson, a boy from Idaho who is playing on his high school hockey team despite battling lymphoma. The segment includes a moment when Jacobson got to skate with the Capitals during a March 7 practice and will first air on Thursday, July 20 at 3 p.m. ET.
Here’s a summary from the Capitals’ press release.
Ovechkin spent two days with Sam Jacobson, 16, including after a Capitals practice at Kettler Capitals Iceplex on Wednesday, March 7. Jacobson who played on his high school hockey team despite recovering from lymphoma, had his most heartfelt wish come true as he met his hockey idol Ovechkin and skated with him after practice on March 7, 2012, through the Make-A-Wish®. Sam began the day by taking a tour of the practice facility and Caps’ locker room. Inside the players’ locker room, he had his own stall, stocked with hockey equipment donated by Bauer. After he suited up, he ended the day by skating with Ovechkin, Karl Alzner, Jason Chimera and other players following their practice. In addition, Sam attended two Capitals home games and spent some time with Ovechkin following the games in the Capitals locker room.
That’s fantastic, isn’t it?
ESPN reports that 41 athletes will be included in this year’s segments. Lebron James, Kyle Busch, DeSean Jackson, Rory McIlroy, Mark Sanchez and Ovechkin will be featured in this week’s segments. You can check out a video promo here.
(Main photo via ESPN Images.)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 0
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 51
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (54)