Jul 13, 2012, 10:52 AM EDT
Ken Holland isn’t used to explaining why he failed. As such, Detroit’s general manager may be getting a bit frustrated with all the questions about his inability to lure defenseman Ryan Suter to the Red Wings.
“I don’t know if people think we’re going to have major announcements this year, next year and the year after,” Holland said , as per the Detroit Press. “The league doesn’t work like that.
“I’m confident, at some point — and it might be next year or the year after — that the history, the tradition, the commitment of our ownership, the passion of our fans, is going to all add up to having an opportunity to bring a player of significance here.”
Detroit’s blue line is especially lacking in players of significance after Nicklas Lidstrom retired in May. Niklas Kronwall is the best defenseman on the team, but it thins out after the 31-year-old.
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 28
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 58
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 5
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 37
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 21
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte