Jul 13, 2012, 9:42 AM EDT
“It’s playing in Detroit, or nowhere else,” Holmstrom said, according to the Detroit News.
It remains to be seen which of those two options he and the Detroit Red Wings will end up agreeing upon.
For now, Holmstrom is training like he does every summer, but he hasn’t ruled out the possibility of retirement. However, it remains to be seen if Detroit will have a place for him in the lineup when he comes to a decision.
Holmstrom, who will turn 40 during the 2012-13 campaign, averaged just 11:52 minutes per game last season. It’s also worth noting that Detroit signed Mikael Samuelsson and Jordin Tootoo this summer. Still, Holmstrom thinks he can still crack Detroit’s lineup if he decides to extend his career.
“If I play my game, play my role, I know I can help this team,” Holmstrom said. “It’s great to see Sammy (Samuelsson) back, he’s going to help our team. And you need a guy like Tootoo, a disturber, a guy who can get in the other team’s face. Those guys will help.”
Holmstrom is expected to talk to Wings GM Ken Holland in another week or two. At that point, the two sides should come a decision regarding Holmstrom’s future.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)