Jul 13, 2012, 9:42 AM EDT
“It’s playing in Detroit, or nowhere else,” Holmstrom said, according to the Detroit News.
It remains to be seen which of those two options he and the Detroit Red Wings will end up agreeing upon.
For now, Holmstrom is training like he does every summer, but he hasn’t ruled out the possibility of retirement. However, it remains to be seen if Detroit will have a place for him in the lineup when he comes to a decision.
Holmstrom, who will turn 40 during the 2012-13 campaign, averaged just 11:52 minutes per game last season. It’s also worth noting that Detroit signed Mikael Samuelsson and Jordin Tootoo this summer. Still, Holmstrom thinks he can still crack Detroit’s lineup if he decides to extend his career.
“If I play my game, play my role, I know I can help this team,” Holmstrom said. “It’s great to see Sammy (Samuelsson) back, he’s going to help our team. And you need a guy like Tootoo, a disturber, a guy who can get in the other team’s face. Those guys will help.”
Holmstrom is expected to talk to Wings GM Ken Holland in another week or two. At that point, the two sides should come a decision regarding Holmstrom’s future.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)