Jul 13, 2012, 9:42 AM EST
“It’s playing in Detroit, or nowhere else,” Holmstrom said, according to the Detroit News.
It remains to be seen which of those two options he and the Detroit Red Wings will end up agreeing upon.
For now, Holmstrom is training like he does every summer, but he hasn’t ruled out the possibility of retirement. However, it remains to be seen if Detroit will have a place for him in the lineup when he comes to a decision.
Holmstrom, who will turn 40 during the 2012-13 campaign, averaged just 11:52 minutes per game last season. It’s also worth noting that Detroit signed Mikael Samuelsson and Jordin Tootoo this summer. Still, Holmstrom thinks he can still crack Detroit’s lineup if he decides to extend his career.
“If I play my game, play my role, I know I can help this team,” Holmstrom said. “It’s great to see Sammy (Samuelsson) back, he’s going to help our team. And you need a guy like Tootoo, a disturber, a guy who can get in the other team’s face. Those guys will help.”
Holmstrom is expected to talk to Wings GM Ken Holland in another week or two. At that point, the two sides should come a decision regarding Holmstrom’s future.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 4
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 4
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 20
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 9
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)