Jul 13, 2012, 8:08 PM EST
RDS’ Renaud Lavoie reports that Los Angeles Kings winger Simon Gagne underwent neck surgery to remove a five-centimeter “mass” about three weeks ago. The good news is that Lavoie also reports that Gagne is “already 100 percent” and training for next season.
Gagne won his first Stanley Cup with the Kings last season, but he’d probably agree that he wasn’t always a big part of the team because of injuries. He only played 34 regular season games and four postseason contests in 2011-12 and has missed at least 19 games per season since 2007-08.
Most of those problems have either been related to concussions or nagging groin injuries. Either way, he’s been held back quite a bit by some bad health-related luck, making one wonder what could have been.
Even so, he’s nearing 300 career goals and 600 points (Gagne is at 283 goals and 581 points now), so he’s carved out a solid living anyway. Perhaps he can get a little more luck in that area and help the Kings defend their championship, but if nothing else, he dodged a legitimate scare weeks ago.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 40
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)