Jul 13, 2012, 8:08 PM EST
RDS’ Renaud Lavoie reports that Los Angeles Kings winger Simon Gagne underwent neck surgery to remove a five-centimeter “mass” about three weeks ago. The good news is that Lavoie also reports that Gagne is “already 100 percent” and training for next season.
Gagne won his first Stanley Cup with the Kings last season, but he’d probably agree that he wasn’t always a big part of the team because of injuries. He only played 34 regular season games and four postseason contests in 2011-12 and has missed at least 19 games per season since 2007-08.
Most of those problems have either been related to concussions or nagging groin injuries. Either way, he’s been held back quite a bit by some bad health-related luck, making one wonder what could have been.
Even so, he’s nearing 300 career goals and 600 points (Gagne is at 283 goals and 581 points now), so he’s carved out a solid living anyway. Perhaps he can get a little more luck in that area and help the Kings defend their championship, but if nothing else, he dodged a legitimate scare weeks ago.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)