Jul 13, 2012, 8:08 PM EDT
RDS’ Renaud Lavoie reports that Los Angeles Kings winger Simon Gagne underwent neck surgery to remove a five-centimeter “mass” about three weeks ago. The good news is that Lavoie also reports that Gagne is “already 100 percent” and training for next season.
Gagne won his first Stanley Cup with the Kings last season, but he’d probably agree that he wasn’t always a big part of the team because of injuries. He only played 34 regular season games and four postseason contests in 2011-12 and has missed at least 19 games per season since 2007-08.
Most of those problems have either been related to concussions or nagging groin injuries. Either way, he’s been held back quite a bit by some bad health-related luck, making one wonder what could have been.
Even so, he’s nearing 300 career goals and 600 points (Gagne is at 283 goals and 581 points now), so he’s carved out a solid living anyway. Perhaps he can get a little more luck in that area and help the Kings defend their championship, but if nothing else, he dodged a legitimate scare weeks ago.
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 0
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 12
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 70
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 65
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)