Jul 13, 2012, 8:08 PM EDT
RDS’ Renaud Lavoie reports that Los Angeles Kings winger Simon Gagne underwent neck surgery to remove a five-centimeter “mass” about three weeks ago. The good news is that Lavoie also reports that Gagne is “already 100 percent” and training for next season.
Gagne won his first Stanley Cup with the Kings last season, but he’d probably agree that he wasn’t always a big part of the team because of injuries. He only played 34 regular season games and four postseason contests in 2011-12 and has missed at least 19 games per season since 2007-08.
Most of those problems have either been related to concussions or nagging groin injuries. Either way, he’s been held back quite a bit by some bad health-related luck, making one wonder what could have been.
Even so, he’s nearing 300 career goals and 600 points (Gagne is at 283 goals and 581 points now), so he’s carved out a solid living anyway. Perhaps he can get a little more luck in that area and help the Kings defend their championship, but if nothing else, he dodged a legitimate scare weeks ago.
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 5
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 20
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 14
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)