Jul 13, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
This might be an oversimplification, but there are two basic ways to look at the drawn-out free agent process with Shane Doan. Some will groan as they want an answer as soon as possible (this group probably hates the whole “speculation” thing). Others might appreciate the extended distraction from totally realizing that we’re approaching the dog days of hockey summer. Either way, it doesn’t appear that we’ll get an answer too soon.
Doan’s agent already took July 16 “off the table” but it might take quite a bit longer. Helene St. James reports that “no decision is imminent” and that Doan could take a week or more to make his choice.
Teams like the Detroit Red Wings (and whoever his $30-plus-million admirer in the East might be) are probably getting a little restless. Still, it makes sense that Doan is taking his time. He’s made no secret that he’d ideally prefer to stick with the Phoenix Coyotes, whose sale situation seems to be stuck in legal quicksand. It’s also worth noting that he’s only played for that franchise, so making a big decision would require considering many factors.
Either way, we might not get an answer until next weekend – or maybe later. Feel free to vent your frustrations or lend your support in the comments.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 7
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 58
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)