Jul 13, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
This might be an oversimplification, but there are two basic ways to look at the drawn-out free agent process with Shane Doan. Some will groan as they want an answer as soon as possible (this group probably hates the whole “speculation” thing). Others might appreciate the extended distraction from totally realizing that we’re approaching the dog days of hockey summer. Either way, it doesn’t appear that we’ll get an answer too soon.
Doan’s agent already took July 16 “off the table” but it might take quite a bit longer. Helene St. James reports that “no decision is imminent” and that Doan could take a week or more to make his choice.
Teams like the Detroit Red Wings (and whoever his $30-plus-million admirer in the East might be) are probably getting a little restless. Still, it makes sense that Doan is taking his time. He’s made no secret that he’d ideally prefer to stick with the Phoenix Coyotes, whose sale situation seems to be stuck in legal quicksand. It’s also worth noting that he’s only played for that franchise, so making a big decision would require considering many factors.
Either way, we might not get an answer until next weekend – or maybe later. Feel free to vent your frustrations or lend your support in the comments.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)