Jul 13, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
This might be an oversimplification, but there are two basic ways to look at the drawn-out free agent process with Shane Doan. Some will groan as they want an answer as soon as possible (this group probably hates the whole “speculation” thing). Others might appreciate the extended distraction from totally realizing that we’re approaching the dog days of hockey summer. Either way, it doesn’t appear that we’ll get an answer too soon.
Doan’s agent already took July 16 “off the table” but it might take quite a bit longer. Helene St. James reports that “no decision is imminent” and that Doan could take a week or more to make his choice.
Teams like the Detroit Red Wings (and whoever his $30-plus-million admirer in the East might be) are probably getting a little restless. Still, it makes sense that Doan is taking his time. He’s made no secret that he’d ideally prefer to stick with the Phoenix Coyotes, whose sale situation seems to be stuck in legal quicksand. It’s also worth noting that he’s only played for that franchise, so making a big decision would require considering many factors.
Either way, we might not get an answer until next weekend – or maybe later. Feel free to vent your frustrations or lend your support in the comments.
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 34
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 57
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 25
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (80)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)