Jul 13, 2012, 9:00 PM EST
This might be an oversimplification, but there are two basic ways to look at the drawn-out free agent process with Shane Doan. Some will groan as they want an answer as soon as possible (this group probably hates the whole “speculation” thing). Others might appreciate the extended distraction from totally realizing that we’re approaching the dog days of hockey summer. Either way, it doesn’t appear that we’ll get an answer too soon.
Doan’s agent already took July 16 “off the table” but it might take quite a bit longer. Helene St. James reports that “no decision is imminent” and that Doan could take a week or more to make his choice.
Teams like the Detroit Red Wings (and whoever his $30-plus-million admirer in the East might be) are probably getting a little restless. Still, it makes sense that Doan is taking his time. He’s made no secret that he’d ideally prefer to stick with the Phoenix Coyotes, whose sale situation seems to be stuck in legal quicksand. It’s also worth noting that he’s only played for that franchise, so making a big decision would require considering many factors.
Either way, we might not get an answer until next weekend – or maybe later. Feel free to vent your frustrations or lend your support in the comments.
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 20
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 60
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5