Jul 13, 2012, 9:00 PM EST
This might be an oversimplification, but there are two basic ways to look at the drawn-out free agent process with Shane Doan. Some will groan as they want an answer as soon as possible (this group probably hates the whole “speculation” thing). Others might appreciate the extended distraction from totally realizing that we’re approaching the dog days of hockey summer. Either way, it doesn’t appear that we’ll get an answer too soon.
Doan’s agent already took July 16 “off the table” but it might take quite a bit longer. Helene St. James reports that “no decision is imminent” and that Doan could take a week or more to make his choice.
Teams like the Detroit Red Wings (and whoever his $30-plus-million admirer in the East might be) are probably getting a little restless. Still, it makes sense that Doan is taking his time. He’s made no secret that he’d ideally prefer to stick with the Phoenix Coyotes, whose sale situation seems to be stuck in legal quicksand. It’s also worth noting that he’s only played for that franchise, so making a big decision would require considering many factors.
Either way, we might not get an answer until next weekend – or maybe later. Feel free to vent your frustrations or lend your support in the comments.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 2
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 5
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 2
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 39
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8