Jul 13, 2012, 2:07 PM EST
The Dispatch has confirmed that [Blue Jackets GM Scott] Howson has inquired with Los Angeles Kings GM Dean Lombardi regarding Kings goaltender Jonathan Bernier, who has asked to be traded in the wake of a 10-year contract signed by Jonathan Quick, the Conn Smythe Trophy winner and the Kings’ clear No. 1.
That Columbus expressed interest in Bernier shouldn’t come as a surprise. Yes, Howson already has Steve Mason and Sergei Bobrovsky on the books — but Howson also said after acquiring Bobrovsky that he wanted more NHL-caliber depth in goal.
That proved to be a solid move on the part of Howson. Johnson thoroughly enjoys being a Blue Jacket — the polar opposite of Carter — and said being in Columbus is “great”.
The Blue Jackets also get L.A.’s first-round pick in 2013.
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 13
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 2
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 15
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)