Jul 13, 2012, 2:07 PM EDT
The Dispatch has confirmed that [Blue Jackets GM Scott] Howson has inquired with Los Angeles Kings GM Dean Lombardi regarding Kings goaltender Jonathan Bernier, who has asked to be traded in the wake of a 10-year contract signed by Jonathan Quick, the Conn Smythe Trophy winner and the Kings’ clear No. 1.
That Columbus expressed interest in Bernier shouldn’t come as a surprise. Yes, Howson already has Steve Mason and Sergei Bobrovsky on the books — but Howson also said after acquiring Bobrovsky that he wanted more NHL-caliber depth in goal.
That proved to be a solid move on the part of Howson. Johnson thoroughly enjoys being a Blue Jacket — the polar opposite of Carter — and said being in Columbus is “great”.
The Blue Jackets also get L.A.’s first-round pick in 2013.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 40
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 32
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 65
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22