Jul 13, 2012, 2:07 PM EDT
The Dispatch has confirmed that [Blue Jackets GM Scott] Howson has inquired with Los Angeles Kings GM Dean Lombardi regarding Kings goaltender Jonathan Bernier, who has asked to be traded in the wake of a 10-year contract signed by Jonathan Quick, the Conn Smythe Trophy winner and the Kings’ clear No. 1.
That Columbus expressed interest in Bernier shouldn’t come as a surprise. Yes, Howson already has Steve Mason and Sergei Bobrovsky on the books — but Howson also said after acquiring Bobrovsky that he wanted more NHL-caliber depth in goal.
That proved to be a solid move on the part of Howson. Johnson thoroughly enjoys being a Blue Jacket — the polar opposite of Carter — and said being in Columbus is “great”.
The Blue Jackets also get L.A.’s first-round pick in 2013.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 5
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 15
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 17
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (77)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)