Jul 13, 2012, 2:07 PM EDT
The Dispatch has confirmed that [Blue Jackets GM Scott] Howson has inquired with Los Angeles Kings GM Dean Lombardi regarding Kings goaltender Jonathan Bernier, who has asked to be traded in the wake of a 10-year contract signed by Jonathan Quick, the Conn Smythe Trophy winner and the Kings’ clear No. 1.
That Columbus expressed interest in Bernier shouldn’t come as a surprise. Yes, Howson already has Steve Mason and Sergei Bobrovsky on the books — but Howson also said after acquiring Bobrovsky that he wanted more NHL-caliber depth in goal.
That proved to be a solid move on the part of Howson. Johnson thoroughly enjoys being a Blue Jacket — the polar opposite of Carter — and said being in Columbus is “great”.
The Blue Jackets also get L.A.’s first-round pick in 2013.
- Treliving would be ‘shocked’ if Bennett sticks with Flames in 14-15 3
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 8
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 15
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 41
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22