Jul 13, 2012, 8:54 AM EDT
Unrestricted free agent Dominic Moore thinks he’s found a great way to raise money for concussion and brain research: table tennis.
Moore took some time off from looking for a new employer to the time to put together a fundraising tournament featuring past and present NHL players.
“Guys are obsessed with playing, they are competitive and it is a lot of fun,” Moore said, according to a report from the Toronto Sun. “It’s a great avenue to show their personalities. We’ll see if it works. I would love for it to get bigger and better every year.”
The motivation for such a fundraiser isn’t hard to figure out. Although the NHL has taken steps to combat concussions, they are still a big problem.
“The last few years, head injuries have been a constant headline,” Moore said. “The understanding in terms of the science of it is huge. As much as we are learning every day, it seems like every month they are coming out with new studies. There is still a long way to go.”
Among the participants in Moore’s tournament was reigning Maurice “Rocket” Richard Trophy winner Steven Stamkos.
“We have to be more aware,” Stamkos said. “When Mooresy asked me to be a part of this, it was a no-brainer, no pun intended. It’s important in our game today and we want to learn as much as possible about it starting in youth hockey and moving up to the pro ranks.”
Stamkos thinks that the league and NHLPA has done a great job protecting the players by changing the rules and imposing harsher suspensions. At this point he thinks that “the onus is on the players.”
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 20
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 13
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)