Jul 13, 2012, 8:54 AM EST
Unrestricted free agent Dominic Moore thinks he’s found a great way to raise money for concussion and brain research: table tennis.
Moore took some time off from looking for a new employer to the time to put together a fundraising tournament featuring past and present NHL players.
“Guys are obsessed with playing, they are competitive and it is a lot of fun,” Moore said, according to a report from the Toronto Sun. “It’s a great avenue to show their personalities. We’ll see if it works. I would love for it to get bigger and better every year.”
The motivation for such a fundraiser isn’t hard to figure out. Although the NHL has taken steps to combat concussions, they are still a big problem.
“The last few years, head injuries have been a constant headline,” Moore said. “The understanding in terms of the science of it is huge. As much as we are learning every day, it seems like every month they are coming out with new studies. There is still a long way to go.”
Among the participants in Moore’s tournament was reigning Maurice “Rocket” Richard Trophy winner Steven Stamkos.
“We have to be more aware,” Stamkos said. “When Mooresy asked me to be a part of this, it was a no-brainer, no pun intended. It’s important in our game today and we want to learn as much as possible about it starting in youth hockey and moving up to the pro ranks.”
Stamkos thinks that the league and NHLPA has done a great job protecting the players by changing the rules and imposing harsher suspensions. At this point he thinks that “the onus is on the players.”
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 13
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 6
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 13
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 16
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 8
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 35