Jul 13, 2012, 8:54 AM EDT
Unrestricted free agent Dominic Moore thinks he’s found a great way to raise money for concussion and brain research: table tennis.
Moore took some time off from looking for a new employer to the time to put together a fundraising tournament featuring past and present NHL players.
“Guys are obsessed with playing, they are competitive and it is a lot of fun,” Moore said, according to a report from the Toronto Sun. “It’s a great avenue to show their personalities. We’ll see if it works. I would love for it to get bigger and better every year.”
The motivation for such a fundraiser isn’t hard to figure out. Although the NHL has taken steps to combat concussions, they are still a big problem.
“The last few years, head injuries have been a constant headline,” Moore said. “The understanding in terms of the science of it is huge. As much as we are learning every day, it seems like every month they are coming out with new studies. There is still a long way to go.”
Among the participants in Moore’s tournament was reigning Maurice “Rocket” Richard Trophy winner Steven Stamkos.
“We have to be more aware,” Stamkos said. “When Mooresy asked me to be a part of this, it was a no-brainer, no pun intended. It’s important in our game today and we want to learn as much as possible about it starting in youth hockey and moving up to the pro ranks.”
Stamkos thinks that the league and NHLPA has done a great job protecting the players by changing the rules and imposing harsher suspensions. At this point he thinks that “the onus is on the players.”
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 2
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 12
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 53
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 19
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 16
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)