Jul 13, 2012, 2:27 PM EDT
The deal comes with an average annual cap hit of $1.25 million, a slight bump from the $900,000 he made last season.
Diaz, 26, made his NHL debut in 2011-12 after spending eight years with EV Zug of the Swiss League.
His first campaign proved to be a good one as he scored 16 points in 59 games, averaged 18 minutes of ice time per night, finished third among rookie defensemen in blocked shots (102) and was part of the NHL’s All-Rookie Team at the 2012 All-Star Weekend.
Diaz was scheduled for an arbitration hearing on July 26. By avoiding it, he locks into a Montreal blueline that could be crowded next season — Andrei Markov, Tomas Kaberle, Josh Gorges, Alexei Emelin, Francis Bouillon and Yannick Weber are also under contract with RFA P.K. Subban still yet to be signed.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 13
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 21
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 62
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 84
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 8
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 52
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional