Mike Modano says he’d consider returning to play for Wild

Jul 13, 2012, 10:59 PM EDT

Mike Modano AP

Mike Modano retired last summer, but there was at least a slight feeling that he did so begrudgingly. There didn’t seem to be much interest, so he ended his career with a whimper. Who knows how serious he truly was while speaking with Josh Rimer, yet he told the radio host that he’d listen if the Minnesota Wild asked him to return to the NHL.

“If the Wild contacted me I’d listen to what they would have to say, certainly would be a fitting ending to a career obviously going back to Minnesota and what that town and what the fans meant to me,” Modano said. “To play with those guys (Zach Parise/Ryan Suter) and play in front of the fans again back where it started would be pretty unique.”

Again, it’s anyone’s guess how serious Modano was about that claim, but Wild writers don’t seem convinced that it would happen anyway. Minnesota beat reporter Michael Russo shoots it down, for one. Hockey Wilderness’ Bryan Reynolds also seemed incredulous about the idea.

Update: Rimer notes that Modano responded to those questions by saying “In some ways it was a bit kidding, but some sense maybe it wasn’t.” Interesting.

The initial reaction is that the Wild’s investment in prominent American hockey players will stop at ones still in their primes. If Modano is serious, do you think he would be a worthwhile addition for a revamped Minnesota team or would it be an idea that even nostalgia rejects (like, say, Dominik Hasek returning to Buffalo)? Let us know.

1. ron05342 - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Gordie Howe II. Or is that III and Hasek is II ?

Stay retired.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Elsewhere, the Leafs announced they are certain Johnny Bower will add just the right touch of veteran leadership to their goaltending corps.

2. rgledz - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:11 PM

As a lifelong North Stars fan it would be fun to see Mo out there with the Wild, but I have to be realistic. I don’t think at this time he would be as good as the 3rd line guys and I can’t think of a player they would drop to get him on the roster. Two years ago I would say jump at the chance, but the Wild actually have something that they haven’t had in years……depth.

3. bensawesomeness - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Said it once, i’ll say it again

Lidstrom: “Retiring today allows me to walk away from the game with pride, rather than have the game walk away from me.”

Stay out, Mike, keep your dignity

• polegojim - Jul 15, 2012 at 10:56 PM

MM has resorted to ‘shirt-tail’ riding.

He did it with the Red Wings and provided so little in return, he was a healthy scratch for the playoffs.

Now, he’s trying to do it again with the Wild.

Why not be remembered as great, rather than staying around long enough to be remembered for failing?

4. kingfooj - Jul 14, 2012 at 12:10 AM

what the..

5. treydogg97 - Jul 14, 2012 at 12:25 AM

He knows he’s not playing on the same line as Parise and Suter, right???

Maybe if someone has a freak ACL injury or something. But if he really wanted to come to MN, he had his chance a couple years back.

6. mikeincmn - Jul 14, 2012 at 12:47 AM

It might be fun for one game, but lets be real, the tank on him is on fumes and if an injury were to happen and lets be real with Bouchard it probably will. That being said with guys like Coyle in the minors, our prospects should get a shot at before someone like Modano.

7. kwall55 - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:35 AM

He posted something like this on twitter like 2 weeks ago… Pretty certain its a joke…

• getadealdonealready - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:26 PM

You say it on twitter once it’s a joke, you repeat it a few more times and I start to think that he is saying it jokingly, but he is throwing it out there that hey if you the wild call, I’m ready to play. That way when they don’t call he can say ahh, I was just joking, but he is making it known he would accept. The question is would he play of league min, and would he make the team (or make it better)?

I’d say stay retired and work on your golf handicap Mr. Madona

• atwatercrushesokoye - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:05 PM

He’s not joking, he said these exact same things on Prime Time Sports on Wednesday, you say these things that many times and it’s not a joke….well it is, but Modano isn’t in on it.

8. jrmehle - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:40 AM

I doubt this happens, but if it does it won’t be until a little ways into the season. December or later.

• greatminnesotasportsmind - Jul 14, 2012 at 9:04 AM

What season

9. noozehound - Jul 14, 2012 at 3:17 AM

there is still a large population in MN, myself included, that still resents Modano for his words after the North Stars moved to Dallas. I sure as hell don’t want you back in my state. Besides, we have a lot of young forwards playing in Houston. we don’t need a geriayric wasting a roster spot, and minutes.

• atwatercrushesokoye - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Just curious, I don’t remember, what did Modano say back then?

10. Kent - Jul 14, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Reblogged this on Hockey Night in Texas and commented:
    Don’t do it, Mo!!

11. rgledz - Jul 14, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Get over it already Noozehound! You’re still upset about something a 23 year old kid said almost 20 years ago?? Sheesh, that’s a serious grudge.

• getadealdonealready - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I’m with noozehound, I don’t know I’d call it a grudge, as I was happy for him when the Wild honored him, but for me that’s the olive branch to say we have moved on, and now so should he. We are on the right track and we don’t want him back for a multitude of reasons one of them being the ignorant and insensitive comments the 23 yr old kid made, about a community that was hurting at the time.

12. purpleguy - Jul 14, 2012 at 12:14 PM

He should’ve never left MN in the first place. Minnesotans still love the guy, as was demonstrated during his last season when the Wld honored him at a Wild home game. Former owner Norm Green and his sexual harassing ways can still kiss my arse.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches