Jul 13, 2012, 10:59 PM EST
Mike Modano retired last summer, but there was at least a slight feeling that he did so begrudgingly. There didn’t seem to be much interest, so he ended his career with a whimper. Who knows how serious he truly was while speaking with Josh Rimer, yet he told the radio host that he’d listen if the Minnesota Wild asked him to return to the NHL.
“If the Wild contacted me I’d listen to what they would have to say, certainly would be a fitting ending to a career obviously going back to Minnesota and what that town and what the fans meant to me,” Modano said. ”To play with those guys (Zach Parise/Ryan Suter) and play in front of the fans again back where it started would be pretty unique.”
Again, it’s anyone’s guess how serious Modano was about that claim, but Wild writers don’t seem convinced that it would happen anyway. Minnesota beat reporter Michael Russo shoots it down, for one. Hockey Wilderness’ Bryan Reynolds also seemed incredulous about the idea.
Update: Rimer notes that Modano responded to those questions by saying “In some ways it was a bit kidding, but some sense maybe it wasn’t.” Interesting.
The initial reaction is that the Wild’s investment in prominent American hockey players will stop at ones still in their primes. If Modano is serious, do you think he would be a worthwhile addition for a revamped Minnesota team or would it be an idea that even nostalgia rejects (like, say, Dominik Hasek returning to Buffalo)? Let us know.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)