Jul 13, 2012, 10:59 PM EDT
Mike Modano retired last summer, but there was at least a slight feeling that he did so begrudgingly. There didn’t seem to be much interest, so he ended his career with a whimper. Who knows how serious he truly was while speaking with Josh Rimer, yet he told the radio host that he’d listen if the Minnesota Wild asked him to return to the NHL.
“If the Wild contacted me I’d listen to what they would have to say, certainly would be a fitting ending to a career obviously going back to Minnesota and what that town and what the fans meant to me,” Modano said. “To play with those guys (Zach Parise/Ryan Suter) and play in front of the fans again back where it started would be pretty unique.”
Again, it’s anyone’s guess how serious Modano was about that claim, but Wild writers don’t seem convinced that it would happen anyway. Minnesota beat reporter Michael Russo shoots it down, for one. Hockey Wilderness’ Bryan Reynolds also seemed incredulous about the idea.
Update: Rimer notes that Modano responded to those questions by saying “In some ways it was a bit kidding, but some sense maybe it wasn’t.” Interesting.
The initial reaction is that the Wild’s investment in prominent American hockey players will stop at ones still in their primes. If Modano is serious, do you think he would be a worthwhile addition for a revamped Minnesota team or would it be an idea that even nostalgia rejects (like, say, Dominik Hasek returning to Buffalo)? Let us know.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 0
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 1
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 9
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 33
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)