Jul 13, 2012, 10:59 PM EDT
Mike Modano retired last summer, but there was at least a slight feeling that he did so begrudgingly. There didn’t seem to be much interest, so he ended his career with a whimper. Who knows how serious he truly was while speaking with Josh Rimer, yet he told the radio host that he’d listen if the Minnesota Wild asked him to return to the NHL.
“If the Wild contacted me I’d listen to what they would have to say, certainly would be a fitting ending to a career obviously going back to Minnesota and what that town and what the fans meant to me,” Modano said. “To play with those guys (Zach Parise/Ryan Suter) and play in front of the fans again back where it started would be pretty unique.”
Again, it’s anyone’s guess how serious Modano was about that claim, but Wild writers don’t seem convinced that it would happen anyway. Minnesota beat reporter Michael Russo shoots it down, for one. Hockey Wilderness’ Bryan Reynolds also seemed incredulous about the idea.
Update: Rimer notes that Modano responded to those questions by saying “In some ways it was a bit kidding, but some sense maybe it wasn’t.” Interesting.
The initial reaction is that the Wild’s investment in prominent American hockey players will stop at ones still in their primes. If Modano is serious, do you think he would be a worthwhile addition for a revamped Minnesota team or would it be an idea that even nostalgia rejects (like, say, Dominik Hasek returning to Buffalo)? Let us know.
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 0
- Report: Witness subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 24
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 6
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)