Jul 13, 2012, 10:59 PM EDT
Mike Modano retired last summer, but there was at least a slight feeling that he did so begrudgingly. There didn’t seem to be much interest, so he ended his career with a whimper. Who knows how serious he truly was while speaking with Josh Rimer, yet he told the radio host that he’d listen if the Minnesota Wild asked him to return to the NHL.
“If the Wild contacted me I’d listen to what they would have to say, certainly would be a fitting ending to a career obviously going back to Minnesota and what that town and what the fans meant to me,” Modano said. ”To play with those guys (Zach Parise/Ryan Suter) and play in front of the fans again back where it started would be pretty unique.”
Again, it’s anyone’s guess how serious Modano was about that claim, but Wild writers don’t seem convinced that it would happen anyway. Minnesota beat reporter Michael Russo shoots it down, for one. Hockey Wilderness’ Bryan Reynolds also seemed incredulous about the idea.
Update: Rimer notes that Modano responded to those questions by saying “In some ways it was a bit kidding, but some sense maybe it wasn’t.” Interesting.
The initial reaction is that the Wild’s investment in prominent American hockey players will stop at ones still in their primes. If Modano is serious, do you think he would be a worthwhile addition for a revamped Minnesota team or would it be an idea that even nostalgia rejects (like, say, Dominik Hasek returning to Buffalo)? Let us know.
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 3
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 49
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 43
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 55
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal