Jul 13, 2012, 10:59 PM EST
Mike Modano retired last summer, but there was at least a slight feeling that he did so begrudgingly. There didn’t seem to be much interest, so he ended his career with a whimper. Who knows how serious he truly was while speaking with Josh Rimer, yet he told the radio host that he’d listen if the Minnesota Wild asked him to return to the NHL.
“If the Wild contacted me I’d listen to what they would have to say, certainly would be a fitting ending to a career obviously going back to Minnesota and what that town and what the fans meant to me,” Modano said. “To play with those guys (Zach Parise/Ryan Suter) and play in front of the fans again back where it started would be pretty unique.”
Again, it’s anyone’s guess how serious Modano was about that claim, but Wild writers don’t seem convinced that it would happen anyway. Minnesota beat reporter Michael Russo shoots it down, for one. Hockey Wilderness’ Bryan Reynolds also seemed incredulous about the idea.
Update: Rimer notes that Modano responded to those questions by saying “In some ways it was a bit kidding, but some sense maybe it wasn’t.” Interesting.
The initial reaction is that the Wild’s investment in prominent American hockey players will stop at ones still in their primes. If Modano is serious, do you think he would be a worthwhile addition for a revamped Minnesota team or would it be an idea that even nostalgia rejects (like, say, Dominik Hasek returning to Buffalo)? Let us know.
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 8
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 26
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 62
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 41
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (115)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)