Jul 13, 2012, 5:28 PM EST
Wellwood, 29, was one of the league’s best bargain signings last year. Without a contract for most of the summer, Wellwood inked a one-year, $700,000 deal with the Jets in early September and proceeded to post 18G-29A-47PTS in 77 games.
He finished third on the team in assists, fourth in goals and fifth in points, all while playing nearly 15 minutes per night.
The former Maple Leaf, Canuck and Shark has appeared in 450 career NHL contests, scoring 220 points. Cool note — the $1.6 million annual salary represents Wellwood’s most lucrative per-season contract since debuting in 2003-04.
Wellwood will rejoin a Winnipeg club that’ll have a different look up front next season. Olli Jokinen and Alexei Ponikarovsky were brought aboard while the likes of Tim Stapleton (KHL) and Tanner Glass (Pittsburgh) were allowed to walk.
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 32
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 1
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 16
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 27
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)