Jul 13, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
Wellwood, 29, was one of the league’s best bargain signings last year. Without a contract for most of the summer, Wellwood inked a one-year, $700,000 deal with the Jets in early September and proceeded to post 18G-29A-47PTS in 77 games.
He finished third on the team in assists, fourth in goals and fifth in points, all while playing nearly 15 minutes per night.
The former Maple Leaf, Canuck and Shark has appeared in 450 career NHL contests, scoring 220 points. Cool note — the $1.6 million annual salary represents Wellwood’s most lucrative per-season contract since debuting in 2003-04.
Wellwood will rejoin a Winnipeg club that’ll have a different look up front next season. Olli Jokinen and Alexei Ponikarovsky were brought aboard while the likes of Tim Stapleton (KHL) and Tanner Glass (Pittsburgh) were allowed to walk.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 9
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 21
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 12
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)