Jul 13, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
New Jersey forward Cam Janssen is sorry for using homophobic language in a radio interview.
“Earlier this week, I participated in an internet-based radio show in which I used some poor judgment which I now regret,” Janssen said in a statement. “The New Jersey Devils were unaware of this interview, which I arranged myself.
“I would like to apologize for my poor choice of language. The tone of the interview was very casual and off-color, and I lost focus on what is and is not acceptable and professional. I am deeply sorry to anyone who was offended by my language. Moving forward, I hope to eliminate that type of language from my vocabulary. I would also like to take this chance to express my support for the work the You Can Play project is doing, and for the gay community in general.
“I apologize for the embarrassment my comments have caused to the New Jersey Devils management, as well as my teammates.”
Patrick Burke of You Can Play – an organization “dedicated to ensuring equality, respect and safety for all athletes, without regard to sexual orientation” – expressed his support for Janssen.
“People unwilling to give Cam a chance to learn from his mistakes are doing no more to support You Can Play than he did in his interview,” tweeted Burke.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 36
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (38)