Janssen “deeply sorry” for homophobic language

Jul 13, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT

Cam Janssen #25 of the New Jersey Devils skates against the New York Islanders at the Prudential Center on April 3, 2012 in Newark, New Jersey. The Devils defeated the Islanders 3-1.
(April 2, 2012 - Source: Bruce Bennett/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

New Jersey forward Cam Janssen is sorry for using homophobic language in a radio interview.

“Earlier this week, I participated in an internet-based radio show in which I used some poor judgment which I now regret,” Janssen said in a statement. “The New Jersey Devils were unaware of this interview, which I arranged myself.

“I would like to apologize for my poor choice of language. The tone of the interview was very casual and off-color, and I lost focus on what is and is not acceptable and professional. I am deeply sorry to anyone who was offended by my language. Moving forward, I hope to eliminate that type of language from my vocabulary. I would also like to take this chance to express my support for the work the You Can Play project is doing, and for the gay community in general.

“I apologize for the embarrassment my comments have caused to the New Jersey Devils management, as well as my teammates.”

Patrick Burke of You Can Play – an organization “dedicated to ensuring equality, respect and safety for all athletes, without regard to sexual orientation” – expressed his support for Janssen.

“People unwilling to give Cam a chance to learn from his mistakes are doing no more to support You Can Play than he did in his interview,” tweeted Burke.

1. paledevil - Jul 13, 2012 at 11:58 AM

While he did say everythign reported it was like 2 guys BSing at a bar The reporter set him up completely!!

2. drunkbro - Jul 13, 2012 at 12:03 PM

what did he say? im sure its just blown out of proportion

• redux12 - Jul 13, 2012 at 12:23 PM

“But if the guy was sucking [expletive] four weeks ago, you’re gonna let him know about it,” one of the hosts half-asked, half-suggested.

Janssen upped the ante for him. “If he’s sucking [expletive], he’s getting his ass kicked,” he replied with a laugh, to an uproarious response.

Yeah, blown way out of proportion.

3. comradeast - Jul 13, 2012 at 12:03 PM

‘You Can Play’ does not belong in the NHL.

Hockey is a sport – not a social experiment.

Maybe next year the NHL will bow down to the ACLU and agree to include at least 2 black women,
    3 asian men and an albino on every game day roster.

• redux12 - Jul 13, 2012 at 12:27 PM

You Can Play isn’t saying that teams have to have gay players. They’re just trying to push for acceptance of gay athletes that have the talent to play the sport. You have completely missed the point of the cause, but then again you’re obviously an ignorant individual, so that shouldn’t surprise anyone. Biggots will be biggots.

• yinzgotsix - Jul 13, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I won’t bite my tongue to spare the feelings of gays. And yes I am a “biggot” you bleeding heart liberal.

• williplett - Jul 13, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Calm down, pal. The NHL is still 99.1% “white” folks who make these sort of jokes behind closed doors. Don’t go full on GOP on us.

4. elemeno89 - Jul 13, 2012 at 12:56 PM

who knew that a hockey player could have such a dirty mouth. or any guy for that matter…

5. williplett - Jul 13, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Fans need to accept a statistical fact: there have been GaY players in the NHL. The overt masculinity of players, coaches, commentators and fans makes it a hostile place to “come out” with any realistic hope of sympathy or understanding. Janssen’s riffing with those shock jocks only makes it that much clear just why that is so. I’m a liberal individual who doesn’t care what people do in their own bedrooms as long as everybody is consenting and of age; I also understand why this issue is ignored completely most of the time when it comes to sports-unless it comes to people trying to make a cheap shot. Look no further than the plethora of “boyfriend” jokes in regard to Parise and Suter signing together with the Wild. They have a fiance and a wife, respectively, and the cheapest shot fans could level was that they were boyfriends. And a BUNCH of folks here did just that.

6. blues1988 - Jul 13, 2012 at 2:25 PM

what i wanna know is who’s idea was it to interview CAM JANSSEN?! He’s so TERRIBLE, its ridiculous. I can’t believe this douch-nozzle is still in the league. Born in St. Louis, but St. Louis could have not been happier to get rid of him.

• cardsandbluesforever - Jul 13, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Cam may have been born in st louis but he’s from Eureka. it could’ve been worse, if he had grown up a couple towns over where im at he’d be dropping the n bomb every other sentence.

Cam- the Thom and Jeff show? really? that was half the problem right there, those idiots arent even funny, just annoying.

• paledevil - Jul 13, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I thought it was a great idea still do! The players just need to proofread and outline like any other media does

Believe it or not if you take out the bait meant to be funny insults The show was jam packed with hockey insight

7. dtob79 - Jul 13, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Oh thank God Cam Janssen has been put back in line. Now I can sleep at night.

8. jpat2424 - Jul 13, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Who cares!!!!

• yinzgotsix - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:00 PM

All the queers and their supporters

• williplett - Jul 13, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Just leave, bud. You thought that sh*t would be funny, but it’s not. You tried twice but it’s really not funny. If you’re older than twelve you need to reconsider the path you are taking with your life.

9. yinzgotsix - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Maybe you should reconsider your path because if you support it you’re as evil and sick as they are. I don’t feel many 12 year olds would care because younger generations are taught to accept it like it’s a normal way of life. If I hurt your feelings I’m not sorry, I’m entitled to my opinion and you can leave

10. yinzgotsix - Jul 13, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Williplett I’ve seen you been following this all day and realize you’re one of them. I see why you’re angry and I feel sorry for you, but I’m proud of you for sticking up for your kind. Do you think if we put all of you on an island you could reproduce and flourish?

• williplett - Jul 14, 2012 at 12:57 AM

I’m glad they let you use the computer at the home. What days do they let you outside in the yard? maybe I can drive past and wave at you before they take you back inside and change you before they put you to bed. At least the rest of America can sleep safe knowing you will be sedated or getting electroshock therapy or watching cartoons while the rest of us vote for President.

Goodnight and don’t let your cellmate bite…

• yinzgotsix - Jul 14, 2012 at 2:29 PM

From an earlier post you claim to be a “liberal person”so I guess we know who you’ll be voting for. Sorry I couldn’t get back to you last night and thank you for the good advice. How did you and your partner sleep? Are you lucky enough to live in a state that allows you two wonderful people to be married?

• vanfoodman - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:06 AM

I find it interesting that you are one of the most engaged commentators on this topic. Ever stop to wonder why that might be? You know what they say about those that protest too much?

• vanfoodman - Jul 14, 2012 at 1:09 AM

FYI, my comment is directed at yinzgotsix not williplett.

• yinzgotsix - Jul 14, 2012 at 9:54 PM

I find it interesting you would chime in, unless of course you are williplet’s boyfriend.

• williplett - Jul 16, 2012 at 2:39 PM

You are a sad little troll.

Your brand of hate only gets exposed in the rear view mirror of history. Hundreds of years from now, your angry words will be mocked by people who wonder why morons like you ever despised-let alone killed-people for such a frivolous reason. Your brand of ugliness is something future generations will puzzle over, just as they will wonder why people were made slaves based on skin color and why people of certain religions were killed for their beliefs. Enjoy being on the wrong side of history, pal.

As for me and my wife, a beautiful woman who shares my beliefs, we will have kids that we wll teach the exact opposite of the jive BS you smear so spitefully across the internet, and one can only guess, your sad little life in general.

• yinzgotsix - Jul 16, 2012 at 9:47 PM

WOW. Thank you so much for opening my eyes as to what a piece of trash I am. Do you want me to fake an apology as Janssen did or would you rather me be honest with you and your sensitive feelings. You have to be from Philly or Sa Fran huh?

11. banggbiskit - Jul 15, 2012 at 4:18 AM

What’s worse than comments is apologizing afterward. If you said it, own it and stick with it, don’t apologize.

12. deathmonkey41 - Jul 15, 2012 at 12:23 PM