Jul 13, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
The steady stream of first-round signings continued on Friday as the Washington Capitals agreed to terms with Filip Forsberg — the 11th overall pick at the 2012 Draft — to a three-year entry level deal.
According to CSN Washington’s Chuck Gormley, it’s a $2.5 million contract with an average annual value (at the NHL level) of $832,500.
“They wanted to sign me and I wanted to sign with such a big organization and a good team,” Forsberg said. “It was a dream come true. I got a good first feeling from the Capitals and I thought it was a good decision to get it done right away.”
Forsberg is currently in Washington at the Capitals’ prospect development camp, but has made it clear he’ll be returning to Sweden next season to play for Leksand of the Allsvenskan (Swedish second division.
Gormely also notes that since Leksand’s training camp begins in late August, Forsberg will not attend Capitals training camp in September.
Getting Forsberg to put pen to paper had to be relieving for the Capitals organization. The team’s first-round pick in 2010, Evgeny Kuznetsov, has yet to sign a deal with Washington — in early June, he inked a two-year agreement with KHL side Traktor Chelyabinsk.
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 2
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 12
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 19
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 22
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 52
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 21
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (52)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)