Jul 13, 2012, 5:30 PM EST
The steady stream of first-round signings continued on Friday as the Washington Capitals agreed to terms with Filip Forsberg — the 11th overall pick at the 2012 Draft — to a three-year entry level deal.
According to CSN Washington’s Chuck Gormley, it’s a $2.5 million contract with an average annual value (at the NHL level) of $832,500.
“They wanted to sign me and I wanted to sign with such a big organization and a good team,” Forsberg said. “It was a dream come true. I got a good first feeling from the Capitals and I thought it was a good decision to get it done right away.”
Forsberg is currently in Washington at the Capitals’ prospect development camp, but has made it clear he’ll be returning to Sweden next season to play for Leksand of the Allsvenskan (Swedish second division.
Gormely also notes that since Leksand’s training camp begins in late August, Forsberg will not attend Capitals training camp in September.
Getting Forsberg to put pen to paper had to be relieving for the Capitals organization. The team’s first-round pick in 2010, Evgeny Kuznetsov, has yet to sign a deal with Washington — in early June, he inked a two-year agreement with KHL side Traktor Chelyabinsk.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)