Jul 13, 2012, 2:13 PM EDT
Still, a few eyebrows were raised Friday when Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman refused to comment when asked if there was interest in acquiring Roberto Luongo from Vancouver.
“I can’t really talk about players who are under contract to other teams,” Bowman said.
Fair enough, we suppose.
Of course, if he didn’t have interest it would be easy enough to say so.
Maybe he’s just a stickler for the NHL’s tampering rules.
The Blackhawks did admit they reached out to Martin Brodeur’s camp when the Devils’ goalie briefly explored free agency.
Granted, that was a no-brainer. Brodeur wouldn’t have come with a contract that runs through 2021-22. Nor would he have come with a reputation for melting down in the playoffs. Not to mention, some of Luongo’s most famous meltdowns came at the United Center (soundtrack by The Fratellis).
Brodeur would, however, have come with three Stanley Cup rings. And signing him wouldn’t have meant giving up on Crawford.
Yet it’s interesting that the Luongo-to-Chicago chatter has never officially been put to bed by the Blackhawks. And when you think about it, if Bowman had zero interest, wouldn’t he be smart to come out and say so in order to drive Luongo’s price down and hurt a conference rival?
Of note, Luongo’s said he’d be open to joining the ‘Hawks.
“I think there’s a lot of cities that are great to play in, and Chicago’s definitely one of them,” he said recently on Vancouver radio. “But you have to realize that it works both ways. There’s not only me involved in this decisions. It’s also a question if the Blackhawks would be interested, if the team would be interested in trading me there and if I wanted to go there.”
It’s still hard, verging on impossible, to picture Luongo in a Blackhawks jersey.
But what a story it would be.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 16
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)